high pressure washer hire questions

leonardgid

hello raiders ,, im here  once again,  question please ,   will a 3000psi    (cold water)  pressure washer remove  loose  water based  exterior paint from roof eaves?  the reason im asking is because i hate being on a ladder  so im thinking about  doing everything from ground level including removing the paint with a washer such  as this one from bunnings hire. thank you for your answer For Hire: High Pressure Cleaner - 24hr

If you can get the nozzle close enough it might, just squirting it from the ground won’t do much. Be careful, those high pressure washers can do some damage.

• Like 2

You’ll do more harm than good using a pressure washer on your eaves forcing water into places where it doesn’t belong and if your house was built pre, mid 1980’s they most likely contain asbestos, which is a whole can of worms in itself.

Better to wash them down with a broom dunked in some warm soapy water and if the paint is flaking it will need a light scrape. Don’t scrape into the base material to ensure any asbestos is not disturbed.

Modern day acrylic paints will bond quite well to a reasonably sound surface as long as its clean.

• Like 2

Depends how old and flaky the paint is. I’ve removed flaky paint with a 1800psi gerni and some wood along with it in places.They can rip off more than you want to remove if not careful.

My question is are you planing on sanding and painting eaves from the ground also? If you do you’re going to want inspector gadget arms.My suspicions is a 3000psi will rip most of it off easy.

Personally if single story which I assume it is if set up a scaffold and work from that you will be standing only a metre or so from ground.

4 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

You’ll do more harm than good using a pressure washer on your eaves forcing water into places where it doesn’t belong and if your house was built pre, mid 1980’s they most likely contain asbestos, which is a whole can of worms in itself.

Better to wash them down with a broom dunked in some warm soapy water and if the paint is flaking it will need a light scrape. Don’t scrape into the base material to ensure any asbestos is not disturbed.

Modern day acrylic paints will bond quite well to a reasonably sound surface as long as its clean.

Agree 100% but I’d still sand/scuff the existing substrate before applying paint to anything that’s painted, wash down with sugar soap and hit it with primer and paint.

• Like 1

You may not need to strip the lot. If it contains asbestos, it is certainly safer to do minimum necessary preparation.  Chase advice from a quality paint supplier or a paint manufacturer. For example, Dulux were happy to send me a full specifications sheet for a problem job years ago.