Penguin attack on squid jig

We were fishing at Yarranabe Park (Rushcutters Bay) trying to catch our first squids because we had seen a YouTube clip of some guy pulling a few there.
Date was 31/03/24 at around 3pm. The weather was good and the sun pretty hot.
After a few casts (Yamashita 1.8) we noticed a few boils in the water and then I felt a smack on my line. We could actually see the bird swimming under water and following the jig. First we thought it was a Kormorant because they were around too. Then I spotted the flipper motion on the side of the body and soon after the bird surfaced for a breath of air.
Indeed a penguin - a long way from Manly where they roost as I saw on TV.
I got the phone out to take a photo but was too slow. All we have are our own eyes accounts.
What I am thinking about is the implication of actually hooking one of those protected birds. A squid jig might not do much damage but nevertheless injury is a possibility.
We cannot exclude the chance of encountering un-intended catch. Anyone out there who knows what the law says about such occasions?

I had a similar experience all those years back in East Germany when a White Swan got tangled in my (greased) floating fishing line. I had no other choice than to cut the line and let the bird go.
When we fished today at Clifton Gardens I noticed the bin Council had put up to dump discarded fishing line and tackle. Darned good idea!!

Before posting this I searched the forum but did not come up with any related content.

Cheers,
Peter & Maria

IMG_3421.JPG

• Like 2

I worry about hooking cormorants too. My friend hooked a bat which took his lure mid flight in parramatta.

I imagine the law would be that it’s accidental by catch and as long as you made reasonable efforts to free it you’d be fine. It’s not like you were targeting them (….right? 😄

Community outrage would be the biggest issue I think. A video on social media or a harrowing picture could raise a lot of anti-fishing sentiment. 

• Like 2

I have had bream and flathead attack squid jigs, and heard of kingies grabbing 1 or 2, so anything is possible.

If you take a video or photo of a penguin or other bird, DO NOT post it on any social media site. Non Fishraider people regularly read this forum, mainly to find out what fish are biting and where, so no posting here either.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

If you take a video or photo of a penguin or other bird, DO NOT post it on any social media site. Non Fishraider people regularly read this forum, mainly to find out what fish are biting and where, so no posting here either.

Understood!👍

3 hours ago, Yowie said:

Non Fishraider people regularly read this forum, mainly to find out what fish are biting and where, so no posting here either.

Just for those people, I am giving away location X.

Salmon are on the chew in Coles.

• Haha 3

Still no squid in our bags! We went to Botany Boat Ramp at night, Clifton Gardens, Bradleys Head, Rushcutters Bay and Illawong Bay at various times of day and tide.
Seems we need some tutoring despite my long years of experience with European species, especially Carp.
Working hours are 6am to 2pm. QTH is Terrey Hills.

10 hours ago, Steve0 said:

Salmon are on the chew in Coles.

Excellent choice. Woollies has the best Smoked Salmon in my opinion! It is a 500g pack of Norwegian Salmon packed in Denmark for maybe $27. Forget the Tasmanian rubbish! Breed in a small harbour with very little water exchange. A lot of fish die of oxygen depravation caused by accumulation of poop in the body of water..

Saw a documentary some years ago on SBS or some other independant channels. I worked for a supplieer to those brands like Tassal.

I personally try to avoid consuming Tasmanian Salmon.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1