Is this a flounder or sole? (Flounder)

linewetter

Question

First time catching this fish and wasn't sure how to handle it.  Luckily I had a rag with me today so I could use that to handle it but it seems like no good way to hold this with just your hands since the fins go all around.  

image.thumb.jpeg.1fb0d1e36f3314c84e078453ed9b6537.jpeg

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

Flounder are one of the safest fish to handle. Apart from not having many spiky bits (just stay away from their teeth), they are also have quite rough skin so they are easy to grip.

Great eating when you get a legal one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Little_Flatty said:

Flounder are one of the safest fish to handle. Apart from not having many spiky bits (just stay away from their teeth), they are also have quite rough skin so they are easy to grip.

Great eating when you get a legal one.

My favorite fish to eat fried whole. The fins get crispy and the meat is very soft and delicate. Great info to know regarding the handling as well! Won’t be as afraid next time around 

• Like 1

As Ryder said, definitely a Flounder. If you caught it in Sydney, then I reckon it’s a Largetooth Flounder. There’s two common ones in Sydney, Largetooth Flounder and Smalltooth Flounder. Pretty hard to tell in that dark colour mode but Largetooth for me.

A mate I’d fish with in Sydney for Bluespot Flathead, his wife would think the Flathead were just ok but was really excited when he bought home a flounder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Blackfish said:

As Ryder said, definitely a Flounder. If you caught it in Sydney, then I reckon it’s a Largetooth Flounder. There’s two common ones in Sydney, Largetooth Flounder and Smalltooth Flounder. Pretty hard to tell in that dark colour mode but Largetooth for me.

A mate I’d fish with in Sydney for Bluespot Flathead, his wife would think the Flathead were just ok but was really excited when he bought home a flounder.

Exactly the same with my fishing buddy - I love the flathead and he and his wife prefer the flounder. Makes division of the haul easier some days!!

The tail is a good guide, but some species may confuse people. For example: https://fishesofaustralia.net.au/home/species/1005

Chasing the difference between Sole and Flounder, I ran across this
https://sciencing.com/difference-between-sole-flounder-5841071.html

While both sole and flounders have flat bodies, each one has some subtle differences that set it apart. Both fish have evolved flat bodies with both eyes facing upward to protect themselves against predators and to aid them in hunting. However, most sole tend to be "right-eyed," meaning the right side of their bodies faces upward. Flounders have more variation between being right-eyed and left-eyed. Interestingly, flatfish start life with one eye on each side of their bodies, and they spend this early developmental stage swimming. As they grow, one eye migrates to the fish's dominant side, and they start living on sandy ocean floors. Flatfish species tend to have roughly oval-shaped bodies, though this can vary dramatically from species to species: some have arrowhead-shaped bodies, for instance.

Note that information is not from an Aussie .edu or .gov. Assuming that the advice is universally correct, left body side up would make it a Flounder.

• Like 2