Running sinker on braid line

Hey guys been mainly been working on fishing with lures lately so I switched all my reels to braid. Did some bait fishing this weekend and used a running sinker rig. Put a running sinker on my braid, tied a swivel and attached a fluorocarbon leader. Every single time the braid tangled around my sinker due to it being very limp which tangled the leader and caused a horrible mess. I just had to keep cutting everything off. I tried using a split shot but it still tangled. Eventually I just put my sinker on top of the hook but it really turned off the bite because the fish could probably see it. Any suggestions on how to stop this? Thanks 

Tie a leader just like you’d do when lure fishing, length is up to you, but really only needs to be short. Feed your sinker onto the leader, tie a swivel then, then add your trace down to the hook. This rig fishes the same as straight through mono and won’t tangle.

• Like 5

I do the same as green hornet says - I generally run at least a metre of heavier leader -  20lb in my case then use 10 or 16lb trace to the hook . 
one thing you have to be careful with is the sinker running up the line and getting hung up on the leader knot - mainly a problem when fishing straight up and down . I just feather the line as it comes of the reel to keep the swivel against the swivel or cast up current as far as the water is deep ( cast 20m in 20m of water ) then flip the bail and let the rig sink - it will sink in an arc keeping tension on the line so the sinker stays on the swivel . 

• Like 4

I ùse abpout a rod length of mono leader to run sinker on.  This also adds a little stretch to rig which helps to hold hook in fish.  Ron 

• Like 2