Fish to target during the daytime

sashkello

Well, we all know how pretty much any kind of fishing is best at dusk or dawn. There is no question that fish activity significantly shifts when the sun is near the horizon. However, are there any kinds of fishing which are better in the middle of the day, or at least indifferent to it?

Off the top of my head, leatherjackets don't really care about time that much. Same for flathead. Luderick is another one which I think doesn't follow this schedule, or at least that's what I've heard from someone. Anything else? 

I  always thought of it like this - fish don’t have eyelids so can’t squint or close their eyes. On bright days fish the shadows or deeper water . Dusk and Dawn transitions benefit predators whose eyes can adjust quickly - mulloway ,tailor and sharks are a couple that come to mind.some fish like trout use the light to silhouette the prey they are hunting on the surface  - not enough light and they can’t see it , too much and they are blinded by it so they switch to prey that lives under the surface like small baitfish and mudeyes . 

• Like 3

Mostly I fish office hours. There are a lot of fish to be caught during the day.  I doubt any fish bite more in the middle of the day.  Change of light just seems to fire them up. My best ever session on Luderick was during a solar eclipse. They were biting OK beforehand but from when the light started fading until the eclipse passed, they were on the weed before the lead settled the float in the water. 

• Like 2