Cuttlefish world record?

Hi all, two weeks ago i caught a giant cuttlefish by accident just off the sydney heads. The maximum recorded length i came across in literature was 1m e2e caught in 1995 and some smaller ones in some national newspapers. This one was 1.10m. I let it go but took a picture. Just wondering how one goes about verifying a record catch and who would i contact?

Thanks

Not too sure tentacles/candles are included in squid/Cuttlefish measurements, but I could be wrong……I often am!

Holy smokes that’s big. . Guinness has a record at a meter even but no details. I’m sure submitting it (if you have a measured photo) gets their record.

I’m sure you read this report in your search for the current record . It’s an environmental impact summary on the cuttlefish from the desalination plant.
This confirms the tentacles are included in the measurements and that this is larger than any specimen documented in this study. 

https://www.bhp.com/-/media/bhp/regulatory-information-media/copper/olympic-dam/0000/draft-eis-appendices/odxeisappendixo5australiangiantcuttlefish.pdf

Please do share the photo!

yeh it was huge. Thank god I didn't bring it into the boat. When we released it, the cuttlefish did a full 180 degrees around the boat and dropped ink 4 times in different spots. The ink stayed around my boat for a good 5 minutes and even with the current the water was black all around. God knows what would have happened to my boat if I actually brought it into ther cabin. I'll submit a picture soon. The way we caught it was so much to luck. I had a live yellowtail which was eaten by a pretty big tailor. The tailor was then eaten by the cuttlefish and got hooked by accident.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I was in south aus beach fishing I saw some cattle bones in the 50-60cm range washed up. Absolute tanks. To see one that size in Sydney is mind boggling