A productive early morning sesh

Posted (edited)

First post in quite a while.

After being snapped off by a nice bream on Friday because my drag was too tight, I was kicking myself, so went home and put 24 oz in a plastic bag and set my drag properly. I also put some marks on my reel so I could stop estimating my drag and have it spot on every time. 

Lucky I did so.

Went for a predawn start on Sunday. A few casts in I hooked a 31cm bream. Usually when I get a decent catch the rest of the session is pretty slow, but not this time.

i keep casting and suddenly feel weight, so I start winding in. No real fight so i figure it’s a flathead, but next thing the fish wakes up and the drag begins to singing!

First run was about 5 seconds and I pump and wind when it’s over. Second run was even longer. This continues for about 2 or 3 minutes but it felt like much longer. About 5 or 6 runs all up.

No aerial acrobats so I begin to dream could this be my first land based kingy?

By now I’m shaking with excitement, I see a surface swirl and some colour, it’s silver/ grey. 

Next problem, how am I going to land it?  There are pluses and minuses to fishing the Bay run. The main minus is that if you’re not careful, human bycatch.  The plus is someone will usually stop and help you net a fish, as was the case this time. The guy netted my fish, took a quick photo for himself and kept on jogging. 

I unwrap the net and see it’s a salmon. Went 47 cm so very happy, but not that elusive  land based kingfish.

i usually fish less as the weather cools, but after this session I  might just keep fishing a bit longer.

IMG_7738.jpeg

IMG_7740.jpeg

Edited by nutsaboutfishing
Forgot photos
  • Like 21

Good catches! What sort of marks do you put on your reel? I’d like to do the same so I can accurately set my drag too…so far I’ve been estimating but want a better way to set my drag with more confidence 

On 5/20/2024 at 8:04 PM, linewetter said:

Good catches! What sort of marks do you put on your reel? I’d like to do the same so I can accurately set my drag too…so far I’ve been estimating but want a better way to set my drag with more confidence 

I put a mark on the reel that lines up with the drag dial.IMG_7759.thumb.jpeg.49b146d473f3f1c09b5712c06f926084.jpeg

IMG_7767.jpeg