How to find snapper

I believe the reds are starting to bite at the moment, and I'd like to catch some. But I really have no idea where to look.

Ive tried the well known snapper marks around Jervis Bay with no luck .... if snapper basically live in the same area all their life, then these spots may be fished out?

Am I better trying to explore and use my sounder to find my own snapper patch? This could be time consuming as Im not great with the fish finder.

Any general hints as to where to find them? My local tackle shop said they are "inshore" at the moment ....I take that to mean not too far out to sea.

I'd love some advice from the experienced people on here. Cheers.

I often chase snapper with mixed results, for me so far bottom bashing on the drift produces but a mate who is a snapper whisperer says you have to be on your mark before dawn he starts fishing an hour or more before sunup, must be anchored and fish as light as possible i.e. smallest sinker. Stinker from an early morning radio broadcast uses unweighted baits into the washes but likes a bit of rock and roll (wave action)  years of experience, I think time on the water = more chance of success you have just got to keep trying different things but putting  in the time is key.

• Thanks 1

Just drive around wide of Windang Island, look for a rise from sand to reef, or drift for Flathead untill you get snagged, then take a mark, this is the spot to fish for Snapper. If early mornings are not your thing, try afternoons, anchor up and fish with about 12lb line, a small sinker to match the current, use half a Pilchard on about a 4/0 hook and cut Pilchards into smaller pieces to use as burley, just a piece regularly. After a few outings you with start to work out how to catch them regularly. The North side of Windang is good in the summer, fishing in closer (about 20m of water) the Snapper feed on the outgoing tide from the lake, fresh Prawns work well there. It’s all gravel/rubble bottom so you will need to look around for patches of hard reef to anchor on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, noelm said:

Just drive around wide of Windang Island, look for a rise from sand to reef, or drift for Flathead untill you get snagged, then take a mark, this is the spot to fish for Snapper. If early mornings are not your thing, try afternoons, anchor up and fish with about 12lb line, a small sinker to match the current, use half a Pilchard on about a 4/0 hook and cut Pilchards into smaller pieces to use as burley, just a piece regularly. After a few outings you with start to work out how to catch them regularly. The North side of Windang is good in the summer, fishing in closer (about 20m of water) the Snapper feed on the outgoing tide from the lake, fresh Prawns work well there. It’s all gravel/rubble bottom so you will need to look around for patches of hard reef to anchor on.

Legend Noel, I will be out of Shellharbour before dawn. I have the MinnKota so can electric anchor.

Thank you !!

You can either sit up current  of reef  and fish back to the face of it  or sit on top of reef  near end and fish over the bavk drop off of the reef  i use berley pot with heaps of bread and fish scraps offcuts and prawn shells n heads   

I like to use a mix of pillys squid  and large whole yakkas butterflied or half a slimy  espevially the heads     fish as light as possible a sinker  or none   i prefer 15lb line straight to the hook  and i only use blue  mono

Try depths between 10mtrs to 25mtrs     after a few attempts you will sort it out

• Like 1

Good tips but……a burley pot down this way will see you swarmed by all sorts of “stuff” from Slimies to those little fish with the white spot on them, Mados, Jackets etc making fishing just about impossible.

5 hours ago, noelm said:

Good tips but……a burley pot down this way will see you swarmed by all sorts of “stuff” from Slimies to those little fish with the white spot on them, Mados, Jackets etc making fishing just about impossible.

Noel I hit your Windang Island spot at dawn , quickly got an undersize reddy then not long after caught a 33cm one. Not huge but happy to finally get one. I used all the tips on here which definitely made a difference.  

After persevering for a while I tried trolling for Bonnie's off bass point without success. A flathead drift in closer scored one 38cm. 

I threw back 6 large red rock cod, 2 sergeant bakers, 4 wrasse and took the snapper and flatty home. Thanks everyone for your tips.

Thank you Noel for your local knowledge 🙏.  Appreciate it.

• Like 3

Keep at it, you will get it sorted! If you are getting lots of Rock Cod, you are up on the hard reef, you need to move closer to the sand/rubble/drop off.

• Thanks 1