Fishing in Slovenia

Posted (edited)

So we're planning a honeymoon for some time in the first half of next year, and my fiancee would like to go some place with beautiful countryside, good food, and some history, but she also wants to find a place where I can get in some Slovenia flyfishing. The top contender for the first three items is Slovenia, and I was wondering how it may be for #4 (you know, the fishing... in case I wasn't clear on that). I'm not looking to catch the fish of a lifetime, just a nice day on a beautiful river and hopefully catch fish.
Any information, experiences or opinions would be appreciated. We have no specific part of Slovenia in mind. Suggestions for other options around Europe would be welcome too. The UK is probably out, as reasonably warm and sunny would be the preference

Edited by Balkanizatx

14 hours ago, Balkanizatx said:

So we're planning a honeymoon for some time in the first half of next year, and my fiancee would like to go some place with beautiful countryside, good food, and some history, but she also wants to find a place where I can get in some Slovenia flyfishing. The top contender for the first three items is Slovenia, and I was wondering how it may be for #4 (you know, the fishing... in case I wasn't clear on that). I'm not looking to catch the fish of a lifetime, just a nice day on a beautiful river and hopefully catch fish.
Any information, experiences or opinions would be appreciated. We have no specific part of Slovenia in mind. Suggestions for other options around Europe would be welcome too. The UK is probably out, as reasonably warm and sunny would be the preference

Warm and sunny and the guarantee of catching fish can only mean Australia mate.

If you feel the need to travel to Europe I hope that somebody on here has a few suggestions for you. It is not regarded as one of the top fishing destinations in the world.

Good luck, hope you and your fiancée have a great time.

bn

Lots of great places in Central Europe to visit-I will point out that the weather between Jan-end of March will be anywhere between just cold to extremely cold and miserable , down to the south will start to become quite warm from May onwards but that is peak tourist season also until September -I have loads of relatives and friends in Hungary so know the area reasonably well-as to the fishing -no idea-Hungary has trout in the Tatra mountains(near Slovakia) and lots of "coarse" fish -pike, perch, carp etc everywhere else. 

• 2 weeks later...