squid fishing off the rocks

Does anyone have any experience squid fishing off the rocks? looking for some northern beach ledges/conditions that makes for good eging off the rocks

I was hanging around a north facing ledge during a 2.2 south swell yesterday ( I did get a bit wet though), so i was relatively safe and out of the waves but didn't catch anything.

I was chucking a 3.5 size squid jig to get a more distance on squid rod but found squid jig being washed back in on surface up close.

I have fished north/south curl curl but do not enjoy the snags there

I usually add some weight on if the bigger waves or fast current. The issue is, higher chance of snags if left to drop too long.

Usually if youre casting out into an area with high crashing waves, your jig would come back a little faster. Thats cause the line is getting hit downwards replicating a retrieve. Those situations youre best finding another location (could be around the corner or something)

5 hours ago, Rob81 said:

I usually add some weight on if the bigger waves or fast current. The issue is, higher chance of snags if left to drop too long.

Usually if youre casting out into an area with high crashing waves, your jig would come back a little faster. Thats cause the line is getting hit downwards replicating a retrieve. Those situations youre best finding another location (could be around the corner or something)

how do you do that?

Depending on the size of your squid jigs. They sell weights you can put onto your jigs. The weights I use are from Rui, as they tend to be a bit cheaper, sits on the head like a helmet. Generally speaking, more weight the faster the jig drops, so you would factor this in when dropping the jigs, being more careful not to hit the bottom (especially in rocky terrain).