Hawkesbury River Kayak Fishing-End of an Old and Trusted Friend(19 June'24)

Chose the coldest day of the year to set off from Berowra Waters boat ramp in search of jewfish. The fog on the water at first light made the early morning chill even more biting.

Usual stop at Joe Crafts Bay to catch some big mullet for live bait. Didn't make the same mistake I'd made in previous weeks by fishing the shallow waters of the flat. Dropped my little kayak anchor in 1 meter of water at the edge of the drop off. Threw a few handfuls of homemade berley and the mullet arrived in less than 5 minutes. It took just 30 minutes to catch 7 fish. Contrary to popular opinion I find mullet good eating and the 3 biggest fish I killed and kept for the table. I use a Frabill aerator for my live bait tank. The unit is quiet and provided the water is changed every couple of hours the mullet stay alive and lively all day. 4x30cm plus mullet is the limit for my small 10 litre tank.

Made the river by 11 o'clock which gave me 3 hours to fish and still have time to paddle back to the ramp before dark. The tide on the day wasn't big but the ebb current was running very strongly, perhaps boosted by run off from the recent heavy rainfall.

Fished a series of locations both wide and close to the shore and for the first couple of hours there was no action.

The hit came when I was fishing close to rocks in less than 4 meters of water. I'd (foolishly) hardened up on the drag because of the proximity to snags. The fish went beneath the kayak, taking line, and the rod doubled over with the tip under the kayak and the mid length in contact with the side of the kayak. My favourite fishing rod, trusty companion of 15 years and slayer of all the big fish I've caught in that time succumbed with a loud crack and snapped. Surprisingly the fish was still on and the fight continued for another 10 minutes, me with the stump and 2 guides and the end meter or so of fishing rod beneath the surface with the fish.

It would have been a fitting end for that old veteran rod to have won its final battle with a big fish but just as I was beginning to feel we were getting the upper hand and the fish was coming off the bottom the line went slack and the fish was gone.

The rod was a 6-10 kg Silstar, not expensive but very durable and the first thing I did next day was order a replacement. The same model is still available but cost twice as much as I paid 15 years ago.

Another exciting day on the water. 

P1010884.JPG

• Like 19

Well, that is a bummer, just need another rod. and hope the quality is good.

Mullet for the plate are better than nothing at all. Are they sand mullet, or a different species?

• Like 1

Thats always upsetting, whether its losing an expensive lure or rod your always left wondering what you could have done to prevent it. 

Quick question, what did you use for your homemade mullet burley??

Cheers, Peter.

Hi Yowie,

The mullet on this occasion were sand mullet. I do catch one or two bully mullet from time to time and they are even better eating and also better bait because they are so strong and lively.

Hi Peter KH,

My homemade burley is a mix of Wonder White, Coles bread crumbs, a hand full of commercial burley from not allowed here rule 6 and fish oil. I add river water and mix it to a paste like mulch so most of it sinks when I throw it out. The fish oil seems to work better than tuna oil for some reason. Hope the info helps.

• Like 1

Commiserations on the loss of the rod. Well done, making the best of a bad situation and coming close to subduing the fish.

Count me as another Mullet fancier.  

Sometime you win and sometimes the fish wins.

I always appreciate the battle and a fish that can give it and win deserves its freedom imo.

A couple of mullet for the plate, a new rod, and a story. 🤙

Ouch - a real pity to loose a trusted and reliable tool of any sort, but really hurts when it is a favourite rod. If it’s got to go - what a way to go.

Bad luck on the rod and fish loss Kingfish, that rod has performed incredibly well over the years for you! Maybe the replacement rod will bring a PB on board:)