Hat Head fishing

Hi All, My family and I are heading down to hat Head in a couple weeks time and having recently picked up fishing, I was stoked to realize that hat Head is an amazing spot for fishing. Over the past 10 years or so my dad and I had the occasional flick in the creek with some bait which has produced some great memories however I'd love to hear about some other spots or how specifically to fish the creek with lures and get onto some big bream or anything that will take my lure. I've done some research on fishing the rocks that surround the headland however am wondering if it's a dangerous endeavour to tackle those rocks as a newbie fisherman and if there are any safe rockfishing spots around hat head. If anyone has any advice on bait, lures location, tides and really any info to help me get onto some fish in hat head it would be greatly appreciated 👍 😎.

A bit late in the season but google/utube Ron Calcutt - land based spining at HH. This time of year you are more likely to target Tailor on spinners or ganged pillies.

Read hereabouts any rock fishing can be dangerous, however HHead in winter with no northerly swell is likely to be much more acceptable.

Ask the local like at SWR Tackle shops for news/advice.

Don't forget the beach options

Good luck.

• Like 1

There are very large flattys in creek   check sandbanks for lay marks on low tide then fish those areas on high tide  nippers are go to bait  also live poddy mullet   summer there are lots of muddys  but too cold now

thanks for the advice, I've seen humungous flatties in the creek before while on a paddbleboard, the biggest probably 80cm. I'll definitely give that a go. I've got a yabby pump and have used them before so I'll try that out. just one other question, do you think yabbies (nippers) would work in the surf? I've got a paddleboard and a little brother willing to paddle some baits out past the waves.