Beginner tips for gear, bait and spots around Iron Cove Bay, Sydney

tommo1

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and am keen to take up fishing again after a very long break. Previously I beach fished around New Zealand and Melbourne, but that was 10 years ago now and I'm going to be pretty rusty.

I live near Iron Cove and have seen guys pulling in some pretty impressive hauls from the bay, just fishing off the shore or jetties. 

Can anyone give me tips as to what rod/reel combo might be best for this sort of fishing? I'm looking at baitcasters but there's a lot of variety and I'm pretty certain I don't need the top shelf ones, but I would like something durable. Also, what bait would be recommended for targeting bream, trevally, tailor, or other fish of that size and temperament?

I've heard good things about the tackle shop at Drummoyne - anyone been there? What was your opinion?

Cheers

Tom

Edited by mrsswordfisherman
No names of tackle shops

50 minutes ago, tommo1 said:

Hi all. I'm new to this forum and am keen to take up fishing again after a very long break. Previously I beach fished around New Zealand and Melbourne, but that was 10 years ago now and I'm going to be pretty rusty.

I live near Iron Cove and have seen guys pulling in some pretty impressive hauls from the bay, just fishing off the shore or jetties. 

Can anyone give me tips as to what rod/reel combo might be best for this sort of fishing? I'm looking at baitcasters but there's a lot of variety and I'm pretty certain I don't need the top shelf ones, but I would like something durable. Also, what bait would be recommended for targeting bream, trevally, tailor, or other fish of that size and temperament?

I've heard good things about not allowed here rule 6 Tackle World at Drummoyne - anyone been there? What was your opinion?

Cheers

Tom

Hey Tom, if you're just after a setup for landbased bait fishing I'd suggest going after a spin setup, whats your budget, the we can go on from there. In the meantime have a look through this article written by @DerekD, he'll probably be onto this post sooner or later haha.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Albert. I'm pretty open to budget but I don't really want to spend huge amounts on gear I don't really need for harbour fishing. I'll check out that article and get back to you.

4 hours ago, tommo1 said:

Thanks Albert. I'm pretty open to budget but I don't really want to spend huge amounts on gear I don't really need for harbour fishing. I'll check out that article and get back to you.

Hi @tommo1 You don't need a big budget. In that article I've recommended a rod + reel combo which is $100 currently at member's prices at one of the big chains. Throw in $20 for backing/leader material and $30 for braid then another $50 for jigheads, plastics and some miscellaneous terminal tackle you can walk away with a setup for around $200 which you can build on and which will give you years of fishing pleasure with a little bit of care.

• Like 3

@tommo1 I fish iron cove a couple times a week it’s fantastic everywhere really.

The Drummoyne shop is excellent the guys there really know their stuff.  They sell good rod/reel combos you’d be looking at the Estuary combos. I’d lean towards the lighter gear the snapper around the cove are small IMO. Most of the fish you’ll get will be bream /flathead/tailor so a lighter setup suits. Kingfish do come through in the warmer months, you’ll see folks lined up opposite Birkenhead Point (city side) targeting kingfish and Jewfish. 

Personally I love fishing around Rodd point, under the bridge itself on the city side and just north of Birkenhead point mall. 
IMG_4593.thumb.jpeg.924cab7bf1fa36b1fbaf9f94ab04c951.jpeg

• Like 1

G'day Tommo, as far as bait goes, prawns and whitebait go well. If you can get them fresh (not frozen) you are on the money. Only problem is getting past the pickers.

We used to have our Christmas party on Spectacle Island and caught a boat from Drummoyne Sailing Club wharf in the morning. Quite a few times a school of BIG Kings would come through near the wharf, smash bait fish and bugger off. I only ever had a bream stick so wouldn't bother trying. 

Fishing off Spectacle Island is awesome when you have access.

Edited by Fried Rice
correction
  • Like 1

In this video shroom is fishing next to iron cove bridge , take a look at his channel as he does a lot of fishing in this area . 

• Like 1