Penn reel size vs shimano and daiwa reel size

faker

Posted (edited)

Guys i was look at some reels between daiwa, penn and shimano Saltwater reels. While daiwa and shimano are pretty consistent with each other. A Penn 4500 feels like a daiwa/shimano between 5000 and 6000 for line capacity. Is this normal and is their a guideline for picking equivalents?

Edited by faker

As I said on another post the Penn slammer 4 4500hs will stop a Mack truck. One of the best reels I have ever owned & I have plenty of reels Bought Daiwa once, never again. The only Shimano that is any good at the moment is the Stradic 5000 FM. (IMO )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, james Cutler said:

As I said on another post the Penn slammer 4 4500hs will stop a Mack truck. One of the best reels I have ever owned & I have plenty of reels Bought Daiwa once, never again. The only Shimano that is any good at the moment is the Stradic 5000 FM. (IMO )

Yea but i need to know line capacity equivalents. Really hard to work out

all this three manufacturers have well documented reels line capacity on their site. For Penn I reckon to check mono/mm for the capacity (find the corresponding mm for PE Gouw). For example slammer 4500 claims to accompany 290m 0.28mm mono. PE3 is 0.285 in diameter so I would say it could spool 250-290m STANDARD PE3 braid. It's roughly the same line capacity as Shimano SW 6000 (I just recently spooled a spheros sw 6000 and it's officially claimed to have capacity of 300m PE3)

Honestly I think Penn slammer is very underrated, but at the same price point I'll simply go for the Saragossa. Or if you don't wanna spend that much, a spheros is cheaper but not much striped. If you don't care about fully sealed, the normal Daiwa bg/Penn battle iii is great value

• Like 4

On 7/5/2024 at 11:44 PM, lhan said:

all this three manufacturers have well documented reels line capacity on their site. For Penn I reckon to check mono/mm for the capacity (find the corresponding mm for PE Gouw). For example slammer 4500 claims to accompany 290m 0.28mm mono. PE3 is 0.285 in diameter so I would say it could spool 250-290m STANDARD PE3 braid. It's roughly the same line capacity as Shimano SW 6000 (I just recently spooled a spheros sw 6000 and it's officially claimed to have capacity of 300m PE3)

Honestly I think Penn slammer is very underrated, but at the same price point I'll simply go for the Saragossa. Or if you don't wanna spend that much, a spheros is cheaper but not much striped. If you don't care about fully sealed, the normal Daiwa bg/Penn battle iii is great value

is the spheros a metal body or something else ? not sure how well it handles shore jigging

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, faker said:

is the spheros a metal body or something else ? not sure how well it handles shore jigging

it's metal body&spool but plastic rotor&side plate from what I can tell. It's a serious saltwater reel inherited a lot from saragossa so I think for the normal Sydney-wise shore jigging it's very capable. I heard its drag system isn't good enough for what you would expect when size >=8000 and targeting meter-ish stuff. But for ordinary shore jigging I think it's actually overkill for bonitos and rats. I wouldn't use drag > 5kg anyway for a 6000 size reel when paring with mh/h shore jigging rod

Edited by lhan

On 7/9/2024 at 1:54 PM, lhan said:

it's metal body&spool but plastic rotor&side plate from what I can tell. It's a serious saltwater reel inherited a lot from saragossa so I think for the normal Sydney-wise shore jigging it's very capable. I heard its drag system isn't good enough for what you would expect when size >=8000 and targeting meter-ish stuff. But for ordinary shore jigging I think it's actually overkill for bonitos and rats. I wouldn't use drag > 5kg anyway for a 6000 size reel when paring with mh/h shore jigging rod

Thanks