Harbour adventure

The past 2 days I took mates fishing to Rushcutters bay. First day we went early got a few yakkas at the wharf and then moved near the creek mouth. Threw some yakka out and rigged 2 rods with plastics and taught him how to fish. Not a touch. To not disappoint him on his first fishing trip I put a small hook and sinker on light line and we hooked up to probably 30+ small bream and pinkies around 20cm. Managed a 31cm Trev somehow too. He had a good time as first timers always enjoy catching fish big or small

next day I took some other mates out fishing to Rushcutters again. They were also first timers and happy to catch small fish since I told them the big fish were very slow this season and didn’t want to bore them. After a little fishing lesson we started fishing with a small hook like yesterday and Hooking up like crazy onto the small ones.

We were just continuing to do that when suddenly I hook up again. Great another 20cm pinkie I think. But no. This pulls. And it pulls hard. This was massive. An audience had gathered. What was this monster? Finally a monster flatty surfaces. Could’ve been around 60 and my pb. On a hook just a tiny bit bigger than the ones used on a sabiki rig! But on a 3m high wall on 6 pound line and a hook that tiny my fate was sealed 😭 

After a bit of a breakdown losing that fish quickly got rods rigged up to plastics and then one with a slightly larger hook and chunk of chicken. Not a touch on the plastics but mate got a nice 40cm flatty on the chicken. 

overall a good 2 days. Mates really enjoyed it and are all very eager for a trip once it warms up to chase some good fish. Massive bream and whiting swimming on the flats there but they’re too intelligent to take any bait. Will have to look into unlocking the secrets of that bay

Edited by Aussie_fisher
Could this be moved to saltwater fishing reports?
  • Like 14

Great when you get newbies into fishing, even better if they take it up and you spend time on some serious fishing. The choice is theirs but at least you have done your bit. Well done.

bn

• Like 1

3 hours ago, james Cutler said:

Top report. Well done

Thank you 🙏 

14 minutes ago, big Neil said:

Great when you get newbies into fishing, even better if they take it up and you spend time on some serious fishing. The choice is theirs but at least you have done your bit. Well done.

bn

Yep simple fishing like catching a lot of small ones is a good way to get someone hooked. Introduces some basics as well as gives them a fun time to remember and then you can slowly progress to some more serious fishing if they enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Man I have been wanting check out that bay since reading @lhan‘s many reports in the past from there and now I see this one from you! That’s a ton of fish to be catching even if they are small! A shame about losing the massive flatty, I know it must have felt like a gut punch especially with an audience 😂 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, linewetter said:

Man I have been wanting check out that bay since reading @lhan‘s many reports in the past from there and now I see this one from you! That’s a ton of fish to be catching even if they are small! A shame about losing the massive flatty, I know it must have felt like a gut punch especially with an audience 😂 

This winters been so slow for me that it’s hard to tell if a spot is good or not. But with those flatties and just the overall environment at Rushcutters I’m pretty sure it would be a cracker spot on plastics especially when it warms up. Ye it did 🤣 still getting over it

@Aussie_fisher good work man. I lost a good flattie there on 5lb leader which is the starting point I bring a tele net with me most of the time now. It actually saved me many times when fishing light especially with flathead.

I found the creek mouth area at Rushcutters bay is much more productive in general. Never had much luck in other parts other than the odd tailor. However, I saw some squid around the public wharf once (plenty of kelp on that side along the wall) but never managed to get one. Worth a try if hit there next time 

Edited by lhan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, lhan said:

@Aussie_fisher good work man. I lost a good flattie there on 5lb leader which is the starting point I bring a tele net with me most of the time now. It actually saved me many times when fishing light especially with flathead.

I found the creek mouth area at Rushcutters bay is much more productive in general. Never had much luck in other parts other than the odd tailor. However, I saw some squid around the public wharf once (plenty of kelp on that side along the wall) but never managed to get one. Worth a try if hit there next time 

We actually caught the flathead right next to the marina. Ye might have to look at getting a Tele net it’s crucial in places like this 

when do you usually fish Rushcutters? we got the flatties around 1 hour after the top of the tide at like 1pm not sure if that’s when they turn on there.

I’ve seen videos on YouTube of people catching a lot squid at a certain spot but didn’t know where it was. after going there I realised it’s actually the wharf 

2 hours ago, Aussie_fisher said:

We actually caught the flathead right next to the marina. Ye might have to look at getting a Tele net it’s crucial in places like this 

when do you usually fish Rushcutters? we got the flatties around 1 hour after the top of the tide at like 1pm not sure if that’s when they turn on there.

I’ve seen videos on YouTube of people catching a lot squid at a certain spot but didn’t know where it was. after going there I realised it’s actually the wharf 

I just walk around but I find it productive around the creek mouth. The fish generally turns on when tides changed based on my experience 

• Like 1