First cast luck didn't leave me empty handed after

Stoked from yesterday's session with plenty of tailor caught, I headed out this late afternoon again to the harbour for some more soft plastics fishing.  First cast out to test the waters, I got a bite and a hookup.  Usually when I get a fish on the first cast, I prepare myself for a session of no action afterwards feeling like I used all my fishing luck in one go 🤣

Up came a small hungry bream:

image.thumb.jpeg.553b827bb972f6d7633a567c7d4cb4e0.jpeg

Next couple of casts were quiet and I was fearing the curse was going to come true!!!  I moved around a bit and continued flicking my plastics and the fear of the curse vanished.  Up came a small tailor:

image.thumb.jpeg.9b91702a489ad20f8d435f4c03ede0f9.jpeg

Next cast out to the same area got me another one:

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d5594b21bb82edd3b10af683027d6e.jpeg

...and then another:

image.thumb.jpeg.b6296e63a3788f6b5cdd522760424c1d.jpeg

Moved around to some drop offs and structure and started to bottom bounce hoping for a flatty.  It was the right environment for one to be around in and sure enough:

image.thumb.jpeg.707b50a3fb112dfe5f0fb349f655448e.jpeg

Photo quality starts to drop off here since I took these off a video recording and it was starting to get too dark...

Cast back out and ol' reliable tiny tailor shows back up:

image.thumb.jpeg.f1936988cf4e79bdd827614c91036067.jpeg

I ended the night focusing on the sandy drop offs near structure and hook onto my last fish of the night:

image.thumb.jpeg.ca1e59ac68d71156e9144c2526c4f253.jpeg

A fun little session and happy to finally catch a bream again....it has been what felt like months since I smelled the smelly smell of bream slime!  

• Like 11

12 hours ago, linewetter said:

Stoked from yesterday's session with plenty of tailor caught, I headed out this late afternoon again to the harbour for some more soft plastics fishing.  First cast out to test the waters, I got a bite and a hookup.  Usually when I get a fish on the first cast, I prepare myself for a session of no action afterwards feeling like I used all my fishing luck in one go 🤣

Up came a small hungry bream:

image.thumb.jpeg.553b827bb972f6d7633a567c7d4cb4e0.jpeg

Next couple of casts were quiet and I was fearing the curse was going to come true!!!  I moved around a bit and continued flicking my plastics and the fear of the curse vanished.  Up came a small tailor:

image.thumb.jpeg.9b91702a489ad20f8d435f4c03ede0f9.jpeg

Next cast out to the same area got me another one:

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d5594b21bb82edd3b10af683027d6e.jpeg

...and then another:

image.thumb.jpeg.b6296e63a3788f6b5cdd522760424c1d.jpeg

Moved around to some drop offs and structure and started to bottom bounce hoping for a flatty.  It was the right environment for one to be around in and sure enough:

image.thumb.jpeg.707b50a3fb112dfe5f0fb349f655448e.jpeg

Photo quality starts to drop off here since I took these off a video recording and it was starting to get too dark...

Cast back out and ol' reliable tiny tailor shows back up:

image.thumb.jpeg.f1936988cf4e79bdd827614c91036067.jpeg

I ended the night focusing on the sandy drop offs near structure and hook onto my last fish of the night:

image.thumb.jpeg.ca1e59ac68d71156e9144c2526c4f253.jpeg

A fun little session and happy to finally catch a bream again....it has been what felt like months since I smelled the smelly smell of bream slime!  

Well done - persistence pays off and you have it in spades

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Aussie_fisher said:

Cracker session again especially in winter. Which plastic were you using? 

I’ve been using the Zman slim swimz in greasy prawn color. It’s been my favorite go to for a while now. I’ve tried other branded paddletail lures too but find that I like the action of the slim swimz the best, much more free flowing regardless of speed. I have grub and prawn shapes too but always gravitate back to the slim swimz just because I feel like it suits my preferred method of fishing the best which is a slow constant wind across the bottom or bottom half of the water column in shallow water. I use that color day or night have found a lot of success with it…I also have it in motor oil but don’t use it that much in comparison to greasy prawn. Just feel like it looks a lot more like a tiny fish in the off white, but I’m sure motor oil works just as well given that’s a top color for a lot of people too

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Another nice session, not big fish but plenty of them for entertainment value.

Thanks @Yowie ! I’ve slowly been toying with the idea of upsizing my lures to try and aim for some bigger models. The only drawback is having to get another set of jigheads and weights to suit :dollarsign::dollarsign::dollarsign:

58 minutes ago, Robbo from Sydney said:

Well done - persistence pays off and you have it in spades

It has not been an easy winter of fishing 😅 Definitely has tested my patience and attention span 

1 hour ago, linewetter said:

I’ve been using the Zman slim swimz in greasy prawn color. It’s been my favorite go to for a while now. I’ve tried other branded paddletail lures too but find that I like the action of the slim swimz the best, much more free flowing regardless of speed. I have grub and prawn shapes too but always gravitate back to the slim swimz just because I feel like it suits my preferred method of fishing the best which is a slow constant wind across the bottom or bottom half of the water column in shallow water. I use that color day or night have found a lot of success with it…I also have it in motor oil but don’t use it that much in comparison to greasy prawn. Just feel like it looks a lot more like a tiny fish in the off white, but I’m sure motor oil works just as well given that’s a top color for a lot of people too

Oh you’re using slim swimz. I’ve been looking at getting those seen a lot of videos with them and they look good. Greasy prawn looks nice. If I was a fish I’d take it. So you use slow roll for most of your soft plastics fishing then not just tailor? That’s interesting I always that hops/twitches were better than a slow roll but you’re having a lot of success

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Aussie_fisher said:

Oh you’re using slim swimz. I’ve been looking at getting those seen a lot of videos with them and they look good. Greasy prawn looks nice. If I was a fish I’d take it. So you use slow roll for most of your soft plastics fishing then not just tailor? That’s interesting I always that hops/twitches were better than a slow roll but you’re having a lot of success

Yup I used to use hops and twitches too, but, and this is just my personal opinion, I feel like hops and twitches are better for curly tail lures. I’ve done a lot of playing around with the lure at my feet just to see what it looks like in the water. When I hop the slim swimz, especially in shallower water that I like to fish, I don’t think it gives the best action. The curly tails look a lot better when hopped even in shallow water since it flutters on the way down but the slim swimz doesn’t have enough depth where I fish to give much action on the way down. 

But also for me the hopping and twitches just take too long to cover water. I’ll hop and twitch and give it a few seconds then do it again and just takes me forever to cover water. So I started to try doing slow roll and after a lot of observation and testing different lures and shapes I found I liked the slim swimz the best.

One day I tried slow rolling only for a whole session just to experiment and it caught me a ton of great fish to my surprise. From that day I was sold and only slow roll my plastics because it covers water a lot faster and keeps me engaged since I’m constantly paying attention for any reaction on the rod. 

I’ll find the post I made when I experimented and edit this post and link it here. It’s caught me bream, whiting, flatties, trevally, pinkies, the common fish you’d find 

Here’s the post where I experimented with only slow rolling just to see since I wasn’t completely confident in it yet:

And additional report showing bream aren’t afraid to take a slow rolling lure. 

Most of my past reports I’ve done since April are all results of slow rolling the lure primarily 

Edited by linewetter
  • Like 1