Winter bream

Been a bit of a slow winter but since holidays are ending decided to go for a few final trips.

Last Thursday fished from 3-5pm as the sun was going down and tide was rising which seemed to be prime time. Fished at the ferry wharf first and managed a leatherjacket. A lot of pickers around so decided to ditch the prawn and to just walk around Drummoyne and cast around with a plastic.

Not much going on and was expecting another donut. Not an uncommon occurrence as of late. But then bam. As I was giving up hope and flicking on autopilot something takes it. Up comes a fat bream at 28cm - my first solid bream on a plastic this winter. Fished a bit more and caught a small tailor before heading home. 

today went to iron cove in the morning around lilyfield bridge with a mate. Reached around 8am and the tide was high. Literally first cast within 2 seconds he managed a 25cm bream on prawn. Insane. Thought it would be a great session. But as fate would have it we caught nothing else.

A bite or 2 within the next 30 mins but beyond that point it just became completely dead. At places like Rushcutters small pickers seem to bite throughout the day but over here nothing was biting at all. The bait was untouched. I mean it made sense since the tide had become slack and the sun was also up.

Fishing the parra in winter especially I’ve noticed the window of opportunity in which good fish bite is slim. Sunrise and sunset is by far the best and a tide change helps too. I know there’s probably people who can pull a 50cm bream at 12pm on a dead low tide 🤣 but this is what I’ve been observing. Can’t wait for the warmer weather and hopefully some improved fishing

IMG_4986.jpeg

IMG_4986.jpeg

• Like 13

Something to show for the effort. At this time of year, the water is colder (I know, had a swim at Wanda Beach today, very cool) and the fish do not put in too much effort to catch a feed. Just a matter of waiting for a month or 2, and the fishing will slowly improve.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Something to show for the effort. At this time of year, the water is colder (I know, had a swim at Wanda Beach today, very cool) and the fish do not put in too much effort to catch a feed. Just a matter of waiting for a month or 2, and the fishing will slowly improve.

Ye they get lazy. But I’ve noticed in some spots the smaller fish (like small tarwhine, bream, snapper) are always insanely active throughout the day but the big ones are much more fussy

I agree on the slim time window. I don't fish in the early morning or in the dark but most of my catches during the winter is within 2 hours before sunset or when tide change (more on rising from low tide). I also noticed it's not too bad around 9-11am when the sun is up but the water also gets warmed up a bit, fish tends to hang around in the shallow for a bit more hunting I guess. Hope this helps.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, lhan said:

I agree on the slim time window. I don't fish in the early morning or in the dark but most of my catches during the winter is within 2 hours before sunset or when tide change (more on rising from low tide). I also noticed it's not too bad around 9-11am when the sun is up but the water also gets warmed up a bit, fish tends to hang around in the shallow for a bit more hunting I guess. Hope this helps.

Interesting. I’ve fished various spots on a tide change around midday but usually not much luck. If you can get onto a rising tide around 2 hours before sunset it’s definitely worth a shot. When it warms up the fish are a lot less fussy I can get them throughout the day provided it’s not too hot

• Like 1