Reel handle side

12 minutes ago, noelm said:

Fly fishing kind of reverses the “theory” you cast (most people) with your right arm, but strip (not wind) with your left…..so? but when you do wind the reel, it’s change hands (like an Alvey) and turn the handles with your right. Does anyone fish a centre pin for Blackfish winding with the left hand? It’s all well and good to talk about “dominant hand/arm” does Alvey make a left hand wind reel? it has to feel right to the user.

Not sure about Alvey centre pins however for side casters - Alvey did offer left side conversion kits which included different side-casting plate and drag conversion parts.

I fished with 'standard'/right centrepins for blackfish and  wound with left hand without changing hands. The line goes  out of bottom of the reel near rod, though, rather than top of reel - a bit annoying when palm breaking for larger fish but still does the job.

If there's winding to do, my right hand does it. If there's casting to do, left-hand pulls, right-hand pushes. The best method is the method that works for the individual.

One of my very early mentors would sit and strip line at her feet, then handline through the rod. It worked exceedingly well for her. Drag systems in reels available to us 'in the sticks' were poor in those days. I can't remember if she pulled line with the right hand and held with the left hand or vice versa. She only used the reel to wind up line at the end of the session or when she moved.  

• Like 1

" The best method that works for the individual "

" it has to feel right for the user "

Two comments from previous posters, which are spot on the money.

I'm right handed.... Bat left handed in softball cricket and golf,, right hand much stronger, left hand more accurate, write with my right hand....

There's no definitive correct answer here, apart from the 2 wise comments above... 

• Like 1

I am right-handed but cast with the right hand and reel with the left hand. Very natural for me.

It doesn't matter how you do it as long as it is effective and you don't lose fish changing hands, etc.

bn