Pea mash

Been a real busy week at work and work ended up consuming all of my usual fishing time, and then some. Thankfully I got what I needed to do done and I didn't have to do anything on the weekend, so I decided to go fishing.

During the week, I did contemplate doing a weed raid on one of my lunch breaks but thought better of it. So that left me with the option of scrounging whatever I could find around the house. I'd heard about this pea thing for luderick, so I decided I'd give it a go. I was curious anyway.

Made up pea mash in the nutribullet and then packed some peas for bait and headed down to Clifton this morning. Got some sand, mixed in with the pea mash, checked depth and started fishing. First spot for ten mins, nothing, so I moved to check another spot where I usually see luderick. Berley down, and fish again. I get a visual on a lone luderick but it wasn't interested.

So I moved toward the end of the wharf for a try. Geez it's deep out there! I think my float was set at something like 15 feet or maybe deeper! Berley down again. This time my float slowly goes under and I tighten up to a spirited fish, but it didn't feel luderick like. I didn't get a chance to see it as it busted me off.

Re-tie, bait back down and wait. Eventually I get another bite and under the float goes and again I'm onto a spirited fish. It fought dirty and was quite a handful to manage, which made me think surgeon for a while, but then again I don't think the fight would've lasted that long if it was, especially given I was on 4lb leader. But eventually I see silver and up comes the pea-eating culprit:

image.png.9913d4cf9df72d62d4e4ad226808772e.png

I love trevs, how they fight so hard for their size. This one went back, saved from the poke bowl by a cm or two.

After that I was out of time, so I packed up and went home.

Given that I didn't sight any luds, I can't really judge the effectiveness of peas on them. But other fish like them, so that's a good sign. Might be a good bait for kids' fishing.

• Like 11

Great Stuff!

Never had much luck with the whole peas thing. Can you reveal the recipe for your Silver Trev poke bowls?? I caught my first two trevs a month or two ago, 40 and 42cm, and turned them both into teriyaki trevally was great. Trev's are a fish that I'd love to try cooking in other ways, I had a few small pieces as sashimi, was great too!

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lhan said:

It's a good try Mike! I prefer lure fishing because don't wanna mess up with baits. Peas definitely will be my go if it works. Great experiment and thanks for sharing 

Cheers Henry, I was just curious. Will try again when the luds are around.

39 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

Interesting experiment Mike.  
Imagine how hard a trevally would fight if it ate spinach 💪💪💪.

I suspect they become surgeons right?🤣

3 minutes ago, Peter KH said:

Great Stuff!

Never had much luck with the whole peas thing. Can you reveal the recipe for your Silver Trev poke bowls?? I caught my first two trevs a month or two ago, 40 and 42cm, and turned them both into teriyaki trevally was great. Trev's are a fish that I'd love to try cooking in other ways, I had a few small pieces as sashimi, was great too!

Cheers, Peter

Cheers Peter. I haven’t tried it but I’ve tried them as sashimi like you and they were great, so to me it follows that they’d go great in a poke bowl! The next step will to fillet them, cube and marinate in a spicy shoyu sauce and pile into a poke bowl of our choosing, depending on what we have in the house. Next legal I catch I will try it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds awesome, let us know how it goes!

Do you ever find that they have small white parasites attached to their scales? When I caught mine, I found 2 on the ones I caught. They are the same shape and size as that of the freshwater planaria. A slug like body and arrow shaped head. It was a pearl/white colour, not sure if they can have any harms to humans after eating the fish. I cut a small notch in the area it was found. It was weird. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Cheers, Peter

16 minutes ago, Peter KH said:

Sounds awesome, let us know how it goes!

Do you ever find that they have small white parasites attached to their scales? When I caught mine, I found 2 on the ones I caught. They are the same shape and size as that of the freshwater planaria. A slug like body and arrow shaped head. It was a pearl/white colour, not sure if they can have any harms to humans after eating the fish. I cut a small notch in the area it was found. It was weird. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Cheers, Peter

No problems, I only post to give us all the opportunity to talk fishing!😎

I haven’t seen parasites like that but have seen ‘doctors’ bugs on practically every fish species that I have caught in saltwater except for leather jackets and flathead.

• Like 1

Well Mike, I have been picking peas from the garden for the last month, and they will not be used for bait. 🤣

Gave it a go, you pulled up one trev and dusted by something else. Could be at home picking and shelling peas. :074:

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Yowie said:

Well Mike, I have been picking peas from the garden for the last month, and they will not be used for bait. 🤣

Gave it a go, you pulled up one trev and dusted by something else. Could be at home picking and shelling peas. :074:

Tomorrow looks like good weather for pea shelling at home Dave! Maybe not harvesting though!

• Like 1