A few nice fish

Yesterday some mates and I headed to iron cove bridge to have a fish using prawn. Reached there around midday, an hour after the low. The water was slowly rising but still very shallow. It was also really sunny so I didn’t expect too much.

We set up and instantly one of us got onto a whiting. A really nice one at 30cm! I was quite surprised at catching a whiting on a low in the middle of a hot day as generally they are targetted in the exact opposite conditions. A few minutes later someone was on again. Another alright whiting probably right at legal. And then again! This one was around the same size as the first whiting. A few small bream after that and then the bite just stopped. The tide continued to rise but nothing was biting not even pickers.

Then around 5 as the sun began to set we moved towards the jetty. Dusk seemed to bring the bite on again. 2 or 3 more whiting (these ones were all small though) a few small bream as well as a nice one at 27cm, and some tailor. The tailor though not legal were still quite a bit bigger than the choppers I've usually been encountering on the parra so they put up some fight. Overall a pretty good session. A lot of whiting that day - I knew it was a good bream/flathead area since I fish with plastics there but didn’t know there were also a lot of whiting. Still trying to understand how the fish work with their bite times but its hard to tell 🤣 

• Like 11

Some fish for your efforts. The whiting and other fish will be moving into the shallow water on the rising tide, so you will need to move up the sandbank as the tide rises. The fish will be looking for soldier crabs or other critters that are in the shallow water as the tide rises.

• Like 3