Finally, some fish

jaybez

The fishing in the area has been extremely slow lately, I had about a month and a half long donut... 

Anyways, on the advice of my brother, I changed profile from a spinnerbait to a small hardbody crank, just to see if the change would get at least something to bite. 

First session throwing the different lure and I get this small fish:

PXL_20240925_0725236122.thumb.jpg.e403b7c3a53197b9be4fcefb89b93af2.jpg

Followed by two more the day after:

PXL_20240926_071743886.thumb.jpg.05221e9c67a035bf1d0a6efc8b49bace.jpg

• Like 6

The second from the day after:

PXL_20240926_072737740_MP2.thumb.jpg.bd0eca95d1ecc8f6498dbb83015f1b3f.jpg

Then, on Saturday, I finally broke in the new/old Hobie with this small model:

PXL_20240928_0749487082.thumb.jpg.af921a7bda68f3669e9cb1b9f9e7502c.jpg

The fish aren't much to speak of but they're better than the nothing of the last few months.

Hopefully the bite only gets hotter here on out.

• Like 11

Redfin (Perch in England) are a schooling fish readily caught in freshwater lakes, streams and canals. They are very good to eat, gutted and cooked whole. If you want to try something different there is a brand of small soft plastics called STRIKE TIGER which are made in Tasmania, deadly for Trout and Redfin. They make very small jigheads and soft plastics to match in a range of colours, and shapes. Not very expensive, I have used the nymph ones in yellow or black. They are excellent on a whippy rod with 4lb line.

Excellent photos and report.

bn

Edited by big Neil
more info
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, big Neil said:

Redfin (Perch in England) are a schooling fish readily caught in freshwater lakes, streams and canals. They are very good to eat, gutted and cooked whole. If you want to try something different there is a brand of small soft plastics called STRIKE TIGER which are made in Tasmania, deadly for Trout and Redfin. They make very small jigheads and soft plastics to match in a range of colours, and shapes. Not very expensive, I have used the nymph ones in yellow or black. They are excellent on a whippy rod with 4lb line.

bn

Robbiefishing on youtube regularly uses Strike tiger and has heaps of videos to target redfin and trout etc, using ST gear.  

https://www.youtube.com/@robbiefishing/featured

Ive never fished for either species but through his channel I learnt about using Strike Tiger if is ever get the chance to catch them.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 8:20 AM, big Neil said:

bn

@big Neil - great advice, he is correct about strike tiger plastics - he kindly gifted me some an they work really well 

On 10/2/2024 at 8:20 AM, big Neil said:

bn

Thanks bn,

Yeah sorry I didn't make it clear, I know they are reddies.. yeah I've seen the strike tiger lures before through robbiefishing - he seems to do well with them.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jaybez said:

Thanks bn,

Yeah sorry I didn't make it clear, I know they are reddies.. yeah I've seen the strike tiger lures before through robbiefishing - he seems to do well with them.

Hi Jaybez. Your Redfin photos are extremely clear and the fish are obviously in very good condition. They are quite a good fish to eat if you are ever looking for some fish for the table.

Keep the reports coming. Good luck, bn