Just a couple

Ryder

Head out early to the lower harbour hoping for an improvement on last weekend.

There were just a few blackfish hanging around the wharf and they were touchy. I got my first “sight casting” to it in the shallower water. The second was a sleeper, float didn’t move at all. Next I pulled in this feisty little Drummer

IMG_1156.thumb.jpeg.3e63716032850111d73d9e27511b6dac.jpeg

Beneath the wharf a Cormorant grabbed a small Moray Eel. It was a battle, the bird had the eel by the head and kept  trying for the surface but the eel swam backwards towards the kelp. It must have lasted over a minute, and I thought the bird might drown. Suddenly it surfaced alone. It got me thinking what if he swallowed it, wouldn’t it be another fight?

Moved over to the shallows as the tide rose and a few fish were schooling up but not interested. I think I’ll give the spot a rest. Heading off the rocks on Monday swell permitting.

IMG_1158.thumb.jpeg.d3d68d6199d25e95b3df6f67a4dadb44.jpeg

IMG_1160.thumb.jpeg.2f27c4531b709743c75de33d6141d258.jpeg

• Like 11

A nice couple of fish, so not a waste of time.

Some years ago, near Gerringong, the wife and I were walking near the coastal rocks where we saw a blackfish about 25cm long being chased by a cormorant in very shallow water. The blackfish was going very fast, but the cormorant was faster, and eventually grabbed the blackfish by the tail, flicked it into the air and swallowed it whole. Straight down the hatch. Makes you wonder what the fish would be doing inside the stomach of the cormorant.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

Makes you wonder what the fish would be doing inside the stomach of the cormorant.

I’ve wondered about this too…. No way I’m swallowing a live fish!

Nice couple fish @Ryder 👍

Edited by Burger
  • Haha 1

Good result and certainly better than my luck up here on the Luderick recently.

That Drummer, could it be a White-ear Parma. If it is that’s certainly a unusual catch on weed.

Happy to be wrong though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackfish said:

That Drummer, could it be a White-ear Parma. If it is that’s certainly a unusual catch on weed.

Cheers Gordon,

I think you’re on the money. It was less than 6 inches long. Like any good fisherman I make the catch look bigger in photos.

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Blackfish said:

👍 thinking the same here.

• Like 1