What boat is this?

olpol

Hi all,

Looking at buying this boat off of marketplace. It looks to be in good condition with no patches or caulking in the hull, and the motor appears to be in good condition despite the sub par cowling. The owner claims it's a cruise craft 5.2 stinger but I don't think it is as all the stingers had flat hulls and not clinker hulls. At the moment I'm just trying to identify what hull it actually is. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Screenshot_20241008-153312_Facebook.jpg

Cruise Craft stingers were smooth sided, as your said plus, only 5.06 mtrs.

It's a bit hard to tell what model it is with that photo, There should be a build plate on it to look at, which will tell it's year and model. sometimes there mounted underneath, inside the transom area..

Got any better photo's ??

36 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

It's a bit hard to tell what model it is with that photo, There should be a build plate on it to look at, which will tell it's year and model. sometimes there mounted underneath, inside the transom area..

That's the best photo of the outside, I can send one of the inside and dash if that's any help. Let me send a few through.

Screenshot_20241008-164223_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20241008-164213_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20241008-164218_Facebook.jpg

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I had a look at a few different older Cruise craft models to see if it looked familiar. It still very well could be, but clearly the owner has no idea if he's calling it a stringer, so my guess is that the makers name couldn't be taken with a grain of salt either

Listen, if you can't find any plating anywhere in the boat, I would be looking at it possibly not being a cruise craft.  It's very easy for a seller, to remove identification plates and name it a cruise craft, so just go into it with eyes open. Don't take the sellers word on it's length or it's make, check everything out, do your due diligence, water test it, get someone experienced to do either or both, does it suit or fit your needs, then make your decision from there.

A while back a friend of mine contacted me because he knew the Cruise craft reef finder model I have and saw one advertised. He Phoned me with a photo when he went to have a look at it, he had a photo of mine, when he showed the seller, he said I was full of Sh@t.. the seller advertised it as a 2001 model, which it couldn't have been, they stopped production on that model in 1994, It had ribbed sides, which was wrong for the model, no builders plate could be found, but the seller wouldn't back down in his claims it was a CC reef finder 2001 model. Sometimes you simply have to walk away..  Unless you accept what it is and it suits your needs

• Thanks 1

The motor being painted (in my opinion) suggests a patch up job, no identification suggests the owner is guessing at a brand name, it doesn’t look like any Cruisecraft I remember…..and the trailer looks small for the boat.

Apart from the screen - this looks very much like the boat hull in question but again no manufacturer details. Trailer places it as 1983 vintage.

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-10081734/power-boats/fibreglass-boat-no-reserve

Zoom in on one of the photos and you can make out what looks like "crestrida" near the stern. Hope that helps. 

image.png.0a76c1cc8e65accddc2146c8748f453f.png

Cheers Zoran

(...now back to painting... 😞)

19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Apart from the screen - this looks very much like the boat hull in question but again no manufacturer details. Trailer places it as 1983 vintage.

Zoom in on one of the photos and you can make out what looks like "crestrida" near the stern. Hope that helps. 

Cheers Zoran

19 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Cheers Zoran

Hey Zoran. This isn't the boat - my one has 3 chines and this one only has two. Cheers for looking though.

On 10/8/2024 at 5:04 PM, BaitDropper said:

That's the best photo of the outside, I can send one of the inside and dash if that's any help. Let me send a few through.

I looked up the rego and it says 5m fibreglass - rego to feb 25, unfortunately no manufacturer and the part of the hull identification number that shows the manufacturer code isn’t shown . The seller must have rego papers and it should show the manufacturer on it - maybe send him a message and see if he can show the ID plate. 

21 minutes ago, BaitDropper said:

Hi Olpol,   Recon it's not a Cruise craft mate.

As I was saying before, treat it as such, do due diligence on her, if it meets your requirement, Go for it.

.........Make sure you take off the " cruise craft tax " in your final offering..

Yes definitely, although I reckon what he's asking is fair. As the story goes, the bloke he bought it off said it was a cruise craft stinger and he's just never checked. I'll be sure to check the manufacturers tag and inform this thread!

23 hours ago, noelm said:

The motor being painted (in my opinion) suggests a patch up job, no identification suggests the owner is guessing at a brand name, it doesn’t look like any Cruisecraft I remember…..and the trailer looks small for the boat.

What makes you say the motor has been painted? Looks more like stickers peeling to me... It's definitely not a cruise craft and agreed on the trailer but won't be an issue as it's only a 5 minute drive to the boat ramp for me.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, olpol said:

What makes you say the motor has been painted?

I don't know to much about motors and stuff, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a mercury motor that doesn't have silver and red on it, the photo you've provided is a completely black engine with silver words.

Additionally, the engine cover shouldn't be connected to the engine body using three screws through it.

image.thumb.png.c463b20722f205b3859d346328bd65a8.png

Sure you are correct, some logos etc look like stickers come off which is quite likely to be the case.

Peter

• Thanks 1