Guides bending and distorting

Hey all I’ve noticed on my lighter rods some of the guides have bent really far forward and some have distorted in shape. I’m not sure why this has happened. I treat my rods relatively well (like keeping them in a case if it’s in the car, no high sticking or rough treatment etc) so I’m not sure why they have become like this? Is there any way to fix it? Would appreciate any advice

IMG_5678.jpeg

IMG_5677.jpeg

Don't know what brand of guides they are but they wouldn't normally bend like that unless there's been pressure from above. The tip certainly has been crushed.

Heat the tip quickly with a lighter and using a pair of pliers (so you don't get burned!) pull the tip gently and it should come off. Buy a new tip, the guide if it has no insert will likely pull back into place under the load of a fish. I wouldn't try bending it back or you might crack your blank.

Looks to me like either a weight was on it or it was pushed directly from the opposite side to your runners. Maybe somebody else did it and didn't let on. Even with those 'rod armour' tubes graphite rods are highly susceptable to being damaged

• Like 5

I have seen single foot guides bent by putting them in a solid case, they just get “hooked” and flatten out, even putting them flat will bend them, they are quite soft. That tip definitely damaged by force, how is anyone’s guess, a lure/sinker/swivel wound up too far? Poked into the ground/rocks/roof of car? Who knows?

• Like 4

Seen cheap guides do that a fair bit unfortunately. But otherwise, the usual culprits, eg closing in doors, putting other things on top ECT. I've closed a door on some of my penns a couple times and haven't had an issue so far, but dropped a dawia and bent 2 guides, on a saltist hyper. Had a cheaper abu garcia rod which the braid wrapped itself around a guide while casting and bent it a little looked like exactly your pic, though this was a bait caster 

Your first photo kinda seems fine to me, just depends on what type of rod it is. My egi and seabass rod some of the guides are appear to somewhat appear to be pushed forward. Yours probably only looks like a little bit push more than normal.

Your second photo, Id be more concern you've lost your ring. Inside the frame theres usually a ring. That would probably require replacing. If you're find your line is snapping, theres a good chance that would be the reason. (First photo I cant tell if youre missing the ring or not).

On 10/12/2024 at 7:27 PM, slothparade said:

Seen cheap guides do that a fair bit unfortunately. But otherwise, the usual culprits, eg closing in doors, putting other things on top ECT. I've closed a door on some of my penns a couple times and haven't had an issue so far, but dropped a dawia and bent 2 guides, on a saltist hyper. Had a cheaper abu garcia rod which the braid wrapped itself around a guide while casting and bent it a little looked like exactly your pic, though this was a bait caster 

I had a similar experience with an abu garcia rod also but it was 60 g metal so I assumed it was normal. I thought fuji frames are supposed to be good though.