Finally caught something from Blues Point

devoker

After casting metal lures and heavy hardbodies for a few weeks, I finally caught a decent tailor this evening. I realised my setup is so heavy (6-10 kg rod with 15 lbs line) that it wasn't much fun to catch it because it hardly moved the drag and got hooked very close to the shore.

Still better than nothing :) at least I have tomorrow's dinner.

IMG-20241016-WA0001.jpg

20241016_204312.jpg

Edited by devoker
  • Like 13

30 minutes ago, lhan said:

Congrats mate, it looks like a good harbour tailor. Gear wise I think 6-10kg (around max pe2.5?) is on spot for this location if you're looking for the good ones. There're some good kingies pulled out there in the past few days so be prepared. 

Yeah, I saw people catching kingfish on multiple occasions in the last few weeks but none was with lures. I hope I will catch my first king soon when the water starts getting warmer.

Edited by devoker

59 minutes ago, devoker said:

Yeah, I saw people catching kingfish on multiple occasions in the last few weeks but none was with lures. I hope I will catch my first king soon when the water starts getting warmer.

Hope you'll get one soon! There's a 80cm king on 60g silver long slim jig today 🤫

Nice catch @devoker, tailor are great fun (if they don’t bite you off - usually never do on lures). You’ll need to upgrade your outfit to land a king land based unless you are VERY fortunate, as they’ll find the nearest structure to bust you off).

if you’re really after a Kingies - try Gladesville area, they were there yesterday (Wednesday 16/10), but feeding on the little jelly prawns, so strike tiger clear or white grubs should get you hooked up, but good luck landing them)

That’s a good catch @devoker. Did you get a measure on it? Looks to be around 50cm. Good fish.

Have the conversation with @DerekD on the weekend about kings and jelly prawn imitations. He’ll have a few things to suggest.

I have never landed a king land based. Mind you, all of my hookups have been incidental whilst fishing for bream and flathead, but it does support @Pickles, suggestion for heavy gear!

At Gladesville, I did see someone get busted off from a kayak a couple of weeks ago. Alas I only had my luderick gear on me.

1 hour ago, Little_Flatty said:

That’s a good catch @devoker. Did you get a measure on it? Looks to be around 50cm. Good fish.

Have the conversation with @DerekD on the weekend about kings and jelly prawn imitations. He’ll have a few things to suggest.

I have never landed a king land based. Mind you, all of my hookups have been incidental whilst fishing for bream and flathead, but it does support @Pickles, suggestion for heavy gear!

At Gladesville, I did see someone get busted off from a kayak a couple of weeks ago. Alas I only had my luderick gear on me.

Thanks for the tips. It was only 39-40cm though. It looks bigger on the plate than it is.

5 hours ago, Pickles said:

Nice catch @devoker, tailor are great fun (if they don’t bite you off - usually never do on lures). You’ll need to upgrade your outfit to land a king land based unless you are VERY fortunate, as they’ll find the nearest structure to bust you off).

if you’re really after a Kingies - try Gladesville area, they were there yesterday (Wednesday 16/10), but feeding on the little jelly prawns, so strike tiger clear or white grubs should get you hooked up, but good luck landing them)

I know it will be quite hard without upgrading but it takes the fun out of fishing having heavier setup. Also, I like the keep my fish to eat once in a while and love kingfish sashimi but not sure is it wise to eat fish caught from Parramatta river. On the other hand, kings travel in and and out of the harbour frequently, so it is possible to catch a fish that might have recently come there or vice versa.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2024 at 9:30 PM, devoker said:

After casting metal lures and heavy hardbodies for a few weeks, I finally caught a decent tailor this evening. I realised my setup is so heavy (6-10 kg rod with 15 lbs line) that it wasn't much fun to catch it because it hardly moved the drag and got hooked very close to the shore.

Still better than nothing :) at least I have tomorrow's dinner.

IMG-20241016-WA0001.jpg

20241016_204312.jpg

very under rated fishm, i love em lightly battered and shallow fry 

13 hours ago, FisheeHunter said:

Hows fishing over there? thought you always had to use a float there. Last time i went kept getting snagged(all around infront of the benches)

It is possible to get snagged near the shore, but using metals or lures I just reel very fast when it gets close.

1 hour ago, Basil D said:

very under rated fishm, i love em lightly battered and shallow fry 

Back in Turkey, we always cooked them as whole, preferably on charcoal or oven baked with olive oil, lemons, and bay leaves inside. We are used to the fishy taste sd we grow up eating the fish like that. Noone even bothers to remove the bloodline.

However, they tasted so much better in Turkey probably due to their diet difference. As far as I know they feed on European anchovy, and sardines mostly there. Unfortunately, they are so overfished that they have become very rare and expensive. Legal size is 18 cm there, but commercial fisherman catch even smaller ones to sell.

Edited by devoker