Sunday 20/10

Ryder

Hi Raiders, 

l made the trip up to the northern beaches on a bait gathering mission yesterday afternoon. The rocks at Mona are covered in cabbage with virtually no weed. The lake at Narrabeen has weed but it all yellow, so I headed to the rocks at Freshie where I found heaps of “horsehair” that’s what I call it. Long, strong and coarse.

I knew the wind was going to be up and southerly, I had planned to fish Bottle and Glass rocks but the wind made it unfishable so I headed over to Watsons where I could fish with the wind at my back.

I mixed up a berley or cabbage and horsehair and got started. The first few downs were tentative with the float barely going under and the bait being stripped so I changed to 6 inches shallower. I got good downs after that.

Since I planned to fish the rocks I didn’t bring a net so all the fish had to be lifted, no problem for the 663, but I probably should have increased the leader to 10lb.

I bagged 5, biggest around 40 and snapped off on a larger specimen during the lift. Plenty of misses and pulled hooks, but not a bad short session. Called it at 8:30.

IMG_1245.thumb.jpeg.1b654ace3ebd2ab88fda55d4f8703292.jpegIMG_1248.thumb.jpeg.606a153c274fd833e94f1b965cbce2d2.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic work @Ryder!

I went out this morning only to arrive on the water and realise I forgot all my terminal tackle!

So I used the time to look at lawn tool replacements instead (you don’t understand how out of character this is!). I guess in more ways than just luderick fishing, I’m becoming more like you mate🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Look. There’s just something about a float going down. Even for me. Takes me back to fishing for mullet at Chipping Norton lake as a 10yo… actually even further. My first ever memory of fishing. 3yo on a punt out in a lake with my mum. 
Can’t beat that. 
Cheers and thanks guys   
Z

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Ryder said:

Hi Raiders, 

l made the trip up to the northern beaches on a bait gathering mission yesterday afternoon. The rocks at Mona are covered in cabbage with virtually no weed. The lake at Narrabeen has weed but it all yellow, so I headed to the rocks at Freshie where I found heaps of “horsehair” that’s what I call it. Long, strong and coarse.

I knew the wind was going to be up and southerly, I had planned to fish Bottle and Glass rocks but the wind made it unfishable so I headed over to Watsons where I could fish with the wind at my back.

I mixed up a berley or cabbage and horsehair and got started. The first few downs were tentative with the float barely going under and the bait being stripped so I changed to 6 inches shallower. I got good downs after that.

Since I planned to fish the rocks I didn’t bring a net so all the fish had to be lifted, no problem for the 663, but I probably should have increased the leader to 10lb.

I bagged 5, biggest around 40 and snapped off on a larger specimen during the lift. Plenty of misses and pulled hooks, but not a bad short session. Called it at 8:30.

IMG_1245.thumb.jpeg.1b654ace3ebd2ab88fda55d4f8703292.jpeg

make a salad with the left over bait lol, nice catch of Luderick, they are fun to catch  

• Haha 2