Fishing For Kingies In 12ft Dinghy, Possible In Sydney?

martymonsta

G'day all I'm new to Fishraider and also to boating. Bought my first boat (12ft Savage Gull with 9.9hp outboard) in December and have been out a dozen times for far with varied success at Berowra Creek, Mooney Mooney and Mullet Creeks targeting Bream and Flathead with light line and small lures.

I also have a heavier outfit (4-8kg 5ft 6in Ugly Stick mated to an overhead reel and 6kg mono) which I would like to use to try my hand at fishing for Kingies which sounds pretty hot around Sydney at the moment.

Question is, are there any kingie spots accessible to a small boat of my size? Not sure if I am being too ambitious in targetting this new species or whether I should just stick to the sheltered estauries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

MartyMonsta

Edited by MartyMonsta

You should be able to get a Kingy or 2 in Pittwater. Try around Scotland Island & any of the small bays along the western shore down to The Basin. You are fine in there with a small boat in decent weather.

Thanks Ken, I reckon that'll be the next trip out! Will post the details of any results.

Cheers

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider Marty, looking forward to your posts

Cheers Swordfisherman

G'day Marty: Spit Bridge in Middle Harbour and Bantry/Sugarloaf Bays in Middle Harbour also easily fished in a 12 footer too and are kingie hotspots! just watch out for the wakes from monster cruiser's "captained" by rich prats who don't care about little tinnies!

G'day Marty,

mate i fish out of the exact same boat with 9.9hp outboard as well. I mainly fish Pittwater and have also been out into middle harbour a few times as well. I only go as far as Balmoral depending on swell , wind and day of week( i wouldn't bother going into the harbour on the weekend). So far i have caught 4 kingies this year, 2 each from Pittwater and Balmoral. As long as you keep your head you'll be fine. I've only had wash come over the side once due to a jetski coming to close :ranting2: but he left pretty quick when he ran into my line while trolling and got hooked on my lure, sucker. Enjoy your boat there's nothing better than an early morning fish away from the hassles of the world.

Thanks blackant and to everyone who's given me ideas (I'm just checking out the spots mentioned on a map). What would be the closest boat ramp to launch from to get to these sweet spots?

Thanks again. What a great site this is! :1clap:

MartyMonsta

• 2 weeks later...

i know its a very delayed response but the best and the closest boat ramp would be roseville (garigal national park), great ramp. you have to pay for parking (i think around $7) or if you have a parks pass its no charge. make sure you buy a ticket if you dont have the parks pass or expect a nice ticket from the rangers on weekends.

this ramp gives you great access to middle harbour, just beware, when you get out of the 8 knot zone when heading the spit way, lots of wake boarders and as mentioned previously, large cruisers.

have fun

Thanks Manama, am just waiting for the outboard to come back from service before heading out to hopefully catch myself a Kingie or two. The digi cam will be coming for the trip also so will post pics of anything caught.

From what I've heard the harbour is fishing quite well with the current ban in place!

Tight lines everyone...