Mechanic Recommendations

martymonsta

G'day everyone,

Just wondering whether anyone can recommend a good outboard mechanic (mobile or workshop-based) in the Castle Hill/Hornsby area. I also work at Ermington which is another option.

I've recently purchased a 99' model Tohatsu 9.9hp 2 stroke and have been quoted $230 + parts for a standard 12 month service for this outboard at a workshop. This is my first outboard so don't have any previous experience.

How does this compare with any of your own quotes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Marty

Personally, I would say that is too expensive. $230 plus parts really means $230 in labour, cause there is obviously no oil or filter !

Now $230 for labour at an average labour rate of about $70 equates to over 3 hours. You can rebuild one in three hours.

Go see Craig at Huetts in Cowan. Not a Tohatsu dealer but will still do a good job on it. Im sure he can beat $230 (especially once he reads this :1prop: )

try blakes at mcgraths hill or independent outboards at blacktown

Independent Outboards did my outboard service last year and I was very happy with their service.

I've compared a few places ard sydney for a 50hr service on my engine and found them to be the cheapest.

They are also Yamaha PLATINUM dealer

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry its taken me a while to reply back on this topic but I eventually ended up going for a dealer service and can wholeheartedly recommend Huett Marine Centre at Cowan for service. Dropped the 9.9 Tohatsu off on a Saturday morning with mention of no rush as I would pick it up the following Saturday. Even though the little motor was running OK, it was more a matter of peace of mind after buying a 2nd hand engine minus a service history.

In the end the total came to $138 for a 2 year service (including new impeller and all sundries) and the lady at the dealership more than happy to answer any "I'm new to boating" questions. Much better than the $230 + parts quote I was given earlier... Just goes to show it pays to shop around!

I know who I'll be sticking with next time.

Tight lines everyone :1prop: