Snapper On Sps

fishless scotty

Hi Scotty

You might have noticed my last couple of reports on reds on plastics - i've only chased em twice, but ill give you the info and knowledge that ive learnt in both of the eye-opening trips.

As for rods - well its bream gear all the way. The last two trips out ive used my heartland Z 631LFS matched with a quantum energy Pti 10 (lighter outfit) and my second outfit is a shimano rack raider 6'8" matched with a capricorn 1500. This is pretty insane gear to be throwing at reds, and if you get a fish up around the 4Kg plus mark - you could be in trouble. The biggest fish weve managed over the last two trips has been 2.5Kg and thats given us a hell of a fight on this sort of gear.

As for pete, well hes using similiar sort of outfits. Outfit one for him is a strudwick softbodz matched with a quantum energy Pti 10, and outfit 2 is a custom samurai (not sure of model) matched with a team daiwa sol 2000.

Petes running 8lb fireline on his, im (stupidly) running 4lb pink. In the leader department we generally beef up to around 15-20lb. For the record, Pete has been using 14lb fluro i think and ive been using 20lb triline mono.

Ideally, for this sort of fishing - you want a 4-8kg stick, matched with a 2500 or 3000 sized reel. Also, something around 7'6" in length is ideal, you really need that leverage on big fish. In fact i think shimano have released something along these lines in the raider line up - the "snapper" raider, have a look at it. I think for the price, theyre pretty hard to go past.

Hi Scotty

You might have noticed my last couple of reports on reds on plastics - i've only chased em twice, but ill give you the info and knowledge that ive learnt in both of the eye-opening trips.

As for rods - well its bream gear all the way. The last two trips out ive used my heartland Z 631LFS matched with a quantum energy Pti 10 (lighter outfit) and my second outfit is a shimano rack raider 6'8" matched with a capricorn 1500. This is pretty insane gear to be throwing at reds, and if you get a fish up around the 4Kg plus mark - you could be in trouble. The biggest fish weve managed over the last two trips has been 2.5Kg and thats given us a hell of a fight on this sort of gear.

As for pete, well hes using similiar sort of outfits. Outfit one for him is a strudwick softbodz matched with a quantum energy Pti 10, and outfit 2 is a custom samurai (not sure of model) matched with a team daiwa sol 2000.

Petes running 8lb fireline on his, im (stupidly) running 4lb pink. In the leader department we generally beef up to around 15-20lb. For the record, Pete has been using 14lb fluro i think and ive been using 20lb triline mono.

Ideally, for this sort of fishing - you want a 4-8kg stick, matched with a 2500 or 3000 sized reel. Also, something around 7'6" in length is ideal, you really need that leverage on big fish. In fact i think shimano have released something along these lines in the raider line up - the "snapper" raider, have a look at it. I think for the price, theyre pretty hard to go past.

Those snapper raiders look the goods but are better suited to small overhead reels as the winch is set a bit to high for a threadline IMO

Scotty have a go at the snapper a mate caught on plastics down my way last week, he could only extract one from the reef out of four hooked, he says the others felt much larger than the one pictured.

04f2c19c-a917-4b4d-b101-b7a52bdf38fd.jpg

e9360268-879c-40a6-a3ee-63389140303d.jpg

The snapper went 9kg on the noggin :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Wooohhhaaa - that is some effort.

I wonder what is the biggest red caught on plastic is so far. I reckon this one would be nudging it right up there.

WELL DONE!!!

Dunno about the biggest, but the guy in the above pic took me out last saturday and i caught my PB on a plastic......all 5kg of it.

8147da95-e1d4-4bda-8579-eb3981c8b40d.jpg

181948c6-710d-41e2-b0bd-2fe5d663a0e4.jpg

ATG - that is a quality snapper mate!! Puts my little 2.5kg jobs to shame! :ranting2::ranting2:

Seriously top fish - it looks like theres some nice snapper fishing to be had down Nowra way. What sort of water depth were you in?

Im assuming the good ole berkley jerk shad done the damage on that puppy?

Cheers

Anthony

ATG - that is a quality snapper mate!! Puts my little 2.5kg jobs to shame! :ranting2::ranting2:

Seriously top fish - it looks like theres some nice snapper fishing to be had down Nowra way. What sort of water depth were you in?

Im assuming the good ole berkley jerk shad done the damage on that puppy?

Cheers

Anthony

Thanks Loomy, i am still smiling :yahoo: It was caught in 11m of water and caught on the new Berkley 'Gulp' 5 inch jerk shad in sardine colour. I love these new lures so much, i bought 20 packs from MO's this week.

bfefc77d-7ce8-42a3-b4f3-4ac4e1d109d3.jpg