Ray, Hutcho And Bryce Hit Local Reefs

Ray R

Hi Raiders, got out this morning with Hutcho and his son Bryce, we were gonna try for a few reddies along the close in reefs north of Box Head.

We found a little frigate on the way as we trolled for a short time just along the front of Little Beach, he was despatched to the esky for some

fresh bait strips later on. Anyway we found a nice gravelly reefy bit and sent down some baits, a bit slow at first maybe it took a while for the

fish to get the scent of the berley. So there we waited and then with a bit of a rush things turned on, small reddies, wrasse and some huge runs

and drops. Most fish went back but we did manage a couple of thumper horsies, it was 2 unreal 5 minute battles considering the gear we caught

them on, my trusty little 2500 Stradic and old rack raider claimed another solid victim, this combo has served me well over the years, and Hutcho's

beast nearly turned his little symetere inside out, Bryce chimed in with his reddie to complete the take home spoils.

The day out was great but very humid, a nice morning out on the inshore reefs. :thumbup:

Hey Slinky, I think that these 2 bait taken horsies at a touch over 60cm (RAY)

and 62cm (HUTCHO) may slip into the FR records..

post-3371-126613738466_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12661374067_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126613743457_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126613745862_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12661374894_thumb.jpg

Well done on the fish boys. Makes me wanna get out there and have a try for them !

I see you have a Coast runner mate. Me and Dad want to upgrade our Boats this year and were thinking of the Coast Runner. If you could answer these questions i would be very happy mate. How does your boat handle outside ? Is it the 480 ? Whats the setup of the boat like for fishing ? Thanks mate :)

Nice work Ray. I'll sort out the records for you, no worries. :thumbup:

As a matter of interest as a fellow 2500 Stradic user, I serviced mine with photos to do a tutorial for the Maintenance forum shortly... while I was at it I upgraded the drag. I tested the well performing stock washers through a rod using a spring balance first... 3.8kg of drag at full lock. With a set of Carbontex washers inside, it now pulls 5.2kg and is still smooth as butter.

Cheers, Slinky

Hey Ray,

Well done on your catches also very happy to hear that hutcho's Shimano symetre handled a decent fish also,

as I purchased a 4000 on saturday and the guy at the shop did mention that they can handle a king under the right circumstances and I did look at him a little funny but feel confident now and will give it a crack!!!!

anyhow good work guys :thumbup:

Regards,

Nathan

Hi Raiders, got out this morning with Hutcho and his son Bryce, we were gonna try for a few reddies along the close in reefs north of Box Head.

We found a little frigate on the way as we trolled for a short time just along the front of Little Beach, he was despatched to the esky for some

fresh bait strips later on. Anyway we found a nice gravelly reefy bit and sent down some baits, a bit slow at first maybe it took a while for the

fish to get the scent of the berley. So there we waited and then with a bit of a rush things turned on, small reddies, wrasse and some huge runs

and drops. Most fish went back but we did manage a couple of thumper horsies, it was 2 unreal 5 minute battles considering the gear we caught

them on, my trusty little 2500 Stradic and old rack raider claimed another solid victim, this combo has served me well over the years, and Hutcho's

beast nearly turned his little symetere inside out, Bryce chimed in with his reddie to complete the take home spoils.

The day out was great but very humid, a nice morning out on the inshore reefs. :thumbup:

Hey Slinky, I think that these 2 bait taken horsies at a touch over 60cm (RAY)

and 62cm (HUTCHO) may slip into the FR records..

post-3371-126613738466_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12661374067_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126613743457_thumb.jpg

post-3371-126613745862_thumb.jpg

post-3371-12661374894_thumb.jpg

Hey Ray that mat of your is folded at the tail end of the fish mate :1prop:

Edited by Groper

WOW! Terrific session there, boys!! And do I see an actual pic of the ellusive HUTCHO???? Yaaaay!!

Great pics again, Ray. Looks like you had fun on the water! Doesn't look like you got the Sydney weather, either!!! finally started raining here last night, with drizzle today.

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Mondo and fellow Fishraiders,

Sorry about my late response but hey better late than never my excuse is a bad case of F3 jetlag. Anyway had a great time out with Bristo and Ray with a couple of huge Bonnies. At first we thought we had latched onto a couple of good reds as the fish were taking the bait off the bottom mainly.

For info, I have had the 480 now for three years and Ray and I have given it a fair beating in all kind of conditions both inside and out. The boat handles well but as usual you must make good decisions and weigh up the conditions before sticking your head out. The Coastrunner is set up really well for fishing with a good stable platform and everything is at your fingertips. The only negative is, like most aluminium boats, short chop can get quite uncomfortable if you push it. Nowdays we just kick back and take our time so we are not getting slammed.

In short if you don't push it the 480 is fine for close in reef fishing in the right conditions. If in doubt, don't!! is always my mantra.

I say buy a boat and get into it.

Regards, Hutcho (the elusive one)