Cronulla Hammerhead - 500M Off Wanda Beach

james7

Did the usual troll around Jibbon bommie and down to Wattamolla.

post-4381-126679475565_thumb.jpg

The bommie was pumping

post-4381-126679474284_thumb.jpg

Picked up an assortment of fish

post-4381-126679479685_thumb.jpg

(Is this a frigate mac???)

post-4381-126679484002_thumb.jpg

(world's smallest kingy)

The wind picked up so we headed back into Bate Bay. I told Syd to throw out a big slab just to see if anything was lurking around. There was. The reel screamed, but it didn't last long. Whatever it was, bit through the 80lb leader. Luckily, I'd caught a yakka so I gave it to Syd to throw out live. That's when the fun started ... The reel screamed again and this was the result ...

post-4381-12667948599_thumb.jpg

post-4381-12667948705_thumb.jpg

Syd shows off a few shark wrestling moves

post-4381-126679489035_thumb.jpg

post-4381-126679491961_thumb.jpg

Another great day on the water with a bit of action to finish the day.

Final catch ...

post-4381-126679537698_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

(continued ...) Only managed two flatties this time but they were a good eating size. Syd was pleased that his flathead was slightly bigger.

post-4381-126679580974_thumb.jpg

And this tailor I caught was okay. (Both Syd and myself dropped a few at the boat)

post-4381-126679581675_thumb.jpg

The tailor were filleted and smoked, along with a couple of the bonito. The bonito smoked are quite okay, so now we don't just use them for bait.

post-4381-126679582461_thumb.jpg

Delicious!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by peterS

Congrats Pete and Syd, another hot session, mate that little tuna thing is a Frigate Mackeral, and what about that hammer head,

looks like he was giving Syd a bit of curry, stay away from the sharp end Syd.

Great report and pics too Pete, love the bommie shot.. :thumbup:

Hey Pete, another good report, I tend to fillet, skin, cut the blood line and debone my bonito, I have a lemon and chillie powder then i get flour, oregano and a Greek herbs mix, mix together and roll the fillets through them, then i fry them, you gotta try it, will show you if you like.

regards basil :beersmile:

looking at the pics it seems you have a bowrider I just purchased

the 560 freedom sports qunitrex. How does yours perform outside in

in the blue water.

Cheers

Anthony

I wish it was my boat Anthony, but it actually belongs to my mate Syd (the bloke in the photos wrestling the hammerhead). It’s a Quintrex 570 Freedom Sport, a great boat and very stable in choppy conditions. You can easily fish four people in comfort. The 4-Stroke Johnson hasn’t missed a beat either.

post-4381-126689488732_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Hey Pete, another good report, I tend to fillet, skin, cut the blood line and debone my bonito, I have a lemon and chilli powder then i get flour, oregano and a Greek herbs mix, mix together and roll the fillets through them, then i fry them, you gotta try it, will show you if you like.

regards basil

Sounds good Basil. I'll try it.

You should try this recipe for bonito. It’s also great for boneless flathead fillets.

Fillet, skin, cut out the blood line and debone the fish, then cut the fillets into bite size portions.

Mix 3/4 cup flour, 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp black pepper, ½ tsp of curry powder, ½ tsp of chilli power (or chilli flakes), 1 tsp of Chinese five spice, 2 tsp of lemon pepper and place into a plastic bag or bowl.

Coat the fish pieces and shallow fry on medium heat until the outside is golden brown. You can adjust the spice mixture to suit your own taste.

another great report well done mate

if you don’t ask me minding.. what lures do you troll and how fast and far behind the boat do you troll them ?

I’m kinda new to trolling that’s all

Thanks cut_loose

Small pink squid skirts have worked well for us cut_loose. The trolling speed is about 10kph - 14kph for tailor and bonito. The distance behind the boat for the lures – approximately 25-35m depending on conditions.

Cheers

Peter

Did the usual troll around Jibbon bommie and down to Wattamolla.

......The bommie was pumping.......

..........The wind picked up so we headed back into Bate Bay. I told Syd to throw out a big slab just to see if anything was lurking around. There was. The reel screamed, but it didn't last long. Whatever it was, bit through the 80lb leader. Luckily, I'd caught a yakka so I gave it to Syd to throw out live. That's when the fun started ... The reel screamed again and this was the result ...

......Syd shows off a few shark wrestling moves........

........Another great day on the water with a bit of action to finish the day.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Peter, that's another good effort mate. You and Syd have certinly proved to be a reliable combination when it comes to taking home plenty of fish for the table :thumbup: It's been interesting to see how many people mainly fish around the corner from river mouths and go out a mile or two and drift fish like Geoff on Fishraider does and catch such of a variety of good table fish over the years when others are struggling at times to get take home fish in the estuaries.

By the way Peter I've been asked to pass a message on to you from a Barry, pictured below. Apparently Barry reads all of your posts and wants to know:- If you and your friend Syd had fishing rods out with live frigate mackerel and bonito for bait around merries reef and the bombora, would you think it would be possible to catch decent size fish other than the hammerheads in the photos and the seal on his back who eats Syd's banjo sharks" :biggrin2:

Barry said to tell you and Syd that he would would like to go out fishing around the Cronulla part of the Hacking one day. He said he's had experience around the freshwater part up from Audley and to make sure to send you and Syd kind regards from Barry :biggrin2:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

post-829-126691451471_thumb.jpg

post-829-126691483578_thumb.jpg

post-829-126691499683_thumb.jpg

post-829-126691629803_thumb.jpg

By the way Peter I've been asked to pass a message on to you from a Barry, pictured below. Apparently Barry reads all of your posts and wants to know:- If you and your friend Syd had fishing rods out with live frigate mackerel and bonito for bait around merries reef and the bombora, would you think it would be possible to catch decent size fish other than the hammerheads in the photos and the seal on his back who eats Syd's banjo sharks

G'day Byron :Funny-Post:

However, you raise an interesting point that I discussed with Syd last weekend regarding using bonito as live bait. The bonito are around in such large numbers at the moment, and are easy to catch, but are they any good as live bait for (say) big kings or something else? We did try it up at South West Rocks once, but the bonito didn't stay "alive" very long. Is this a common problem with them? Yakkas seem to stay alive for hours. I've heard that frigate mackerel are good too, but I only caught one last weekend and it was far too big to use as a livie with the gear we had. Actually, we were using a large slab of frigate mackerel when we got the first strike (by another toothy shark I presume) and the 80lb leader was "demolished".

Any comments about bonito as livies?

How would you rig bonito as a livie? (Syd caught the hammer with a single hook through the nose of the yakka. I actually saw the yakka jump out of the water minutes before the hammerhead struck. It knew the shark was around)

Also Byron, would a jew go for a live bonito? (or even one butterflied?)

Cheers

Peter

Peter,

In regards to the live bonny's.

I actually caught a few and dragged them around on monday with a hookup on a decent shark within close range of the cliffs... A little birdie also told be there have been a few beakie hookups in close using live bonny's as well...

The way to do them is bridle rig them with a length of dacron/thin rope through the eye socket and use a decent circle hook. Then slow troll them just above idle around the area you wont to work...

Hope this helps!

JC

Peter,

In regards to the live bonny's.

I actually caught a few and dragged them around on monday with a hookup on a decent shark within close range of the cliffs... A little birdie also told be there have been a few beakie hookups in close using live bonny's as well...

The way to do them is bridle rig them with a length of dacron/thin rope through the eye socket and use a decent circle hook. Then slow troll them just above idle around the area you wont to work...

Hope this helps!

JC

Thanks for that info Joel. I might give it a go.

I did a bit of a search and found these diagrams. I take it this is what you mean?

post-4381-126706488367_thumb.jpg

post-4381-126706489531_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Peter

Thats the one peter...

i tend to use dacron rather then elastic as it stays on a little longer when trolling, more like the bottom photos..

Also i run a stinger in the tail section as well, depending on the conditions.... as a shark will just crash the bait and smash it to pieces

Goodluck!

JC