Snook

TunaSickle

Hi all,

Too rough to fish today so I thought I'd submit this picture of a snook I caught down in Adelaide a couple of years ago. We caught heaps using ganged hooks with thin slices of salmon skin and strips of pilchads.

The method was using hand lines with bean sinkers tied on about every few feet for about 3 meters then motor along slowly.

This one came to 83cms.

post-8547-127388313998_thumb.jpg

I miss going "Snooking" with my Dad back in Adelaide

They are great fun to catch on leaded lines or metal lures

but using a paravane is my favourite, as its exciting waiting for it to up

with a big snook or salmon splashing behind it.

Unlike most fish, the bigger they get the better they taste

I have caught plenty over a metre, and my wife has caught a 130cm one when squidding

I have only caught two in Sydney harbour, both where only 25cm long

By the look of the picture you were down south of Adelaide in the Southern Vales near Wirrina

of elsewhere on the Fleurieu Penisula

Jason

Steve Starling says this about the eating qualities:

"Eating Qualities: The snook is a very good to excellent table fish, much prized in southern waters. The fish's flesh is white, moist and sweet, although a little soft. Care should be taken not to bruise the meat, and all snook should be cleaned promptly after capture."

They are excellent eating if the skin is removed, white, light tasting flesh with

the rib bones only running a short distance behind the head and easy to remove

Leave the skin on and they taste very meaty - similar to bonito but much stonger

Luckily they are very easy to skin

When they are on the bite you will get the bag limit of 20 with twenty drops of the lure

they are super agressive, and will hit anything that is white or shiny that is moving

Jason

Catch the odd one from time to time around Lilli Pilli in Port Hacking, no more than about 45cm long. Never eaten one. Have seen them swimming in small schools at times.

Yowie.

caught them on charter with a guide whos name it wont let me post on here for some reason lol he was saying they are pike????? Are they? lol.......also said they are good eating but really boney and smell a bit when ya first put them into the pan....

Edited by IVZ350

Whats the difference between a snook and a pike? Are they the same fish with different names?

A lot of fisho's have different names for them,the mexicans call them barracuta,up my way mid north coast

some call them mackeral,the best way to tell snook has a protruding bottom jaw,and has a black lateral

line running down the length of his body high up on body towards spine,must clean them quickly and they are beautiful

years ago they use to scrap all the gut cavity to remove what looked like aluminium shavings.

cheers Rick.