Surprise Catch

luderick59

went pussyfooting for blackies at mona vale gutters this morning 7till9am with the rising tide and the seas building the blackies were there landed 3 and lost 4 trying to put them in the keeper net[slppery little suckers]

anyway had this big hit and was on to a large blackie i thought until it took longer and harder runs than a blackie as it got closer it looked like a big bream but to my surprise it was a tarwhine just lipped by my pan no8 blackfish hook :thumbup:

measured him at home it went 42cm a new fishraider record i hope :biggrin2:

peter :1fishing1:

post-4997-127509383566_thumb.jpg

post-4997-127509384297_thumb.jpg

Edited by luderick59

WOW!! Awesome fish there, Peter!! What is the main difference between Tarwhine & bream? On small ones, I usually spot the difference in scales & head shape - but that one is massive!! Well done!! Hope it is a FR Record, to go with your others!!!

Let us know how he tastes - never tried one before!

Roberta

did great to land that tarwhine on a no8 hook, considering i've caught baby (and I mean 10-15cm) snapper on no2 hooks i keep thinking about going up in size.

this weather's too ordinary for me, want to get out but not so much fun when everything gets wet.

Awesome Tarwhine at 42cms luderick59 :thumbup: I'll bet that big fella took you by surprise when it woke up and took off on the light gear Peter :1yikes::biggrin2:

Tarwhine are particularly nice eating especially around that size Pete and I think the boys who fish Avoca should give the lagoon a go if they open it up and get their share of Tarwhine too

Cheers Peter

Byron :1fishing1:

That is a thumper tarwhine Peter! :thumbup:

It beats my pb tarwhine by a cm or two. I caught mine off Wanda beach about ten years ago while fishing for whiting. Boy, did it give me a run for my money! They go hard!

Tarwhile are good to eat if you remove the black lining in their gut.

Congratulations on a top catch and the Raider record! :thumbup:

Cheers

Peter

thanks for all your posts

at the moment im making fish chowder with the tarwhine filleted and skinned had some for lunch and the rest was put into the chowder with onions potato bacon the head and frame were boiled to get a tasty fish stock when cooked i will thicken with cream and serve with crusty bread cant wait for dinner

peter :1fishing1:

Here is some information on Tarwhine for anyone who's interested, it's hard to say what the length would be going off the weight of 2.44 kilos, which is the Australian record for Tarwhine but I'd say being a pretty solid fish a 2.44 kilo Tarwhine would have to be somewhere around 50-55 centimetres or so ...

Tarwhine [rhabdosargus sarba]

Size 500g - 2kg.

Habitat Tarwhine inhabit surf beaches, rocky headlands and estuaries at limited areas of the east and west coasts of Australia.

Qualities A hard fighter, typified by vigorous head shaking.

Record Australian record 2.440kg.

Best Bait

bait: Bass Yabbies (nippers), Beach worm, Blood worm, Crab, Pippi, Prawn

Tackle

Link: 3kg main line with a 0.5m trace.

Hook: No.2 - 1/0 Beak.

Rig: Medium rig with a running sinker dependent on conditions.

Knot: Locked half blood knot

Hints Surf tarwhine are found in gutters and channels. Best fishing is during winter months. Habitat, baits and rigs as for bream

Cheers

jewgaffer

• 5 months later...

Awesome Tarwhine at 42cms luderick59 :thumbup: I'll bet that big fella took you by surprise when it woke up and took off on the light gear Peter :1yikes::biggrin2:

Tarwhine are particularly nice eating especially around that size Pete and I think the boys who fish Avoca should give the lagoon a go if they open it up and get their share of Tarwhine too

Cheers Peter

Byron :1fishing1:

Byron your back :yahoo::1clap: Hope your well, Youve a bad run buddy.

Jeez Pete, that's a tarwhine-and-a-half mate!

My PB is 40cm and did that fish take off !

Congrats on the FR record for it - it's banner time....

Very interesting recipe too for the chowder - I might have to take a serious look at that.

Do you have a recipe and the method for it?

I'm a total seafood nut so if you have more details on that chowder, please let me know.......

Tony