A Week In Weipa!

rjc123

Good report and looking forward to some photos.

Congratulations on a good trip to Weipa. Sounds like you got among some good fish and

I notice some extra PBs on your'e list.

The fishing outside the rivers can be explosive and it's somthing you have to experience

along with the scenary and remoteness.

When trolling large lures up there for mackeral we always use a short single strand wire trace.

Short so when a shark takes four fish your'e not left attatched to a large shark.

Thanks for the report I'll be up there with my sons in 9 days.

Bruce

Good luck up there. i hope you like the barra and jacks though because its really windy and if you are going with guides then you will have to probably convince them to take you outside. Anyway, are you a regular up there. if so when are the best times to fish weipa? I had such a great time up ther i am already planning next years trip.

Guest Big-Banana

Love that place and am planning a 2011 trip. Octobers the time for Barra apparently, but we struggled with them even. They can fire, but they certainly can be quiet at times. Pretty sure we nailed over 40 species in our trip.

We hired a boat for 5 days and pretty much fished offshore for 90% of the time. Great place and looking forward to the report! :biggrin2:

Edited by Big-Banana

Good luck up there. i hope you like the barra and jacks though because its really windy and if you are going with guides then you will have to probably convince them to take you outside. Anyway, are you a regular up there. if so when are the best times to fish weipa? I had such a great time up ther i am already planning next years trip.

Hi

Yes you had more wind than normal, usually in sept it averages about 20km per hour, this year looking at the BOM

site it's 30+ klm/hr. Hopefully it backs off a bit in the next couple of weeks. We hire boats so can please

ourselves if we want to go offshore or stay in the rivers. We have noticed the guides are very hesitant to

go out of the rivers with just a moderate wind that in Sydney wouldn't worry you. But then they get paid the same

money to fish the rivers in comfort and with less fuel costs.

Once you get down the coast a bit the wind is all offshore so the inshore areas along the beaches and cliffs

are all protected once you get down there.

We usually spend a couple of days in the river either at the beginning of our trip or at the end depending

on reports and the weather.

April and May seem to be the best months for a mixture of river and offshore fishing. June july and aug the water temp is down and the fish don't seem as active. It also gets cold enough for a jumper somedays.

Better go and pack my bag.

Bruce

Sounds like a Great trip. 8 of us are heading up there in two weeks to stay on the houseboats. Can't wait. hope to have some of your good luck with all the differnet species.

Will report about it when i get back.

Hi

Sounds like you're getting on the tillitoo on the 27th sept I'll be on the other boat till the

1st oct.

will see you up there if you do board on the 27th

bruce

Sounds like somewhere Id like to go!!!!

Fantastic Report and congrats on catching 14 Species in a week and some mighty fine one's too!!!!

The 2 that got away you can only wonder how big and what they were.....

I really enjoyed the read top stuff there mate!!!

Nice pics!!!!!

I hope to do something like that one day!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan