The King of all Kings

Mr Squid

Just returned from 3 days of the greatest fishing trip to NZ ever. Based out of Great Barrier Island with 4 mates the objective was to catch big kings and boy did we succeed. With the smallest kings being in the 6 - 8 kg range we pushed through a medium swell on the last day to a spot where the captain was confident of upping the ante. After several kings to 25kg were landed it was my turn on the rod. With a live yakka being slow trolled I waited in anticipation for the strike which took all of 30 seconds. In 25m of water the Stella SW20000 was as close to full lock up as possible and after the initial hit the king finally woke up and put in one of those screaming runs, letting me know this was not just any king I had attached. With the king and I not willing to give an inch we were locked into a 30 minute battle to the death, and on several occasions it looked like it was going to be me either being pulled over board or having the rod ripped out of my hands. Finally started to see colour and then I when he finally popped to the surface I knew he was the king of a lifetime. With the skipper tracing the line and getting him on board thru the marlin door the celebrations started. Official measure are as follows; length to the fork of the tail 163cm, to the end of the tail 175cm and a weight of 45kg. Unfortunately the king was spent and would not swim, however this did allow us to get some great photos back at the wharf.

I would like to submit this catch for catch of the month and also kingfish record holder

Squidy

post-11653-0-82044200-1395659877_thumb.jpg

post-11653-0-57208200-1395660095_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr Squid

Dayyyum!!! That is a killer fish. To be honest I am surprised it didn't kill you too hehehe. I am sure you would have been well knackered by the end of that war. A huge congrats on a fish of a lifetime. It will be a while before that record is broken I bet.

Luc.

Edited by Trout Stalker