REVIEW OF BOAT LICENSING - comments please

mrsswordfisherman

Members the information below was sent to me for circulation. Please feel free to send comments or post here as I will be sending the comment to the review panel.

The Maritime Management Centre of Transport for NSW is carrying out a review of boat driver licensing in NSW and is seeking your comments. Please also circulate this to your network.

The aims of the review include to:

• Examine options to streamline the licensing system
  • Reduce red tape for the boating community
  • Achieve greater alignment between vessel licensing and registration requirements
  • Where appropriate, achieve greater harmonisation with the road driver licensing system

The review considers when a licence is required, the classification and duration of licences, the process for obtaining a licence and licence fees. Waterway management matters are outside the scope of this review.

The Discussion Paper provides an overview of the current boat driver licensing system, considers licensing requirements in other jurisdictions, outlines proposals for change and seeks feedback on those proposals.

The closing date for submissions is 19 December 2014.

Submissions can be made to the Maritime Management Centre at maritime@transport.nsw.gov.au

Just a couple of points

"A licence be required to operate any powered

registered vessel, rather than any powered vessel

operated at 10 knots or more as is now the case.

Registration is required for vessels with an engine

of 4kW or more and 5.5m or more in length"

This basically means that even your deckie, driving the boat off the trailer, now needs a license under this scheme. Also, the people that hire out houseboats or cruisers, now need a license. Surely that is going to affect their businesses fairly substantially.

If your boat license is combined with your road license, if you lose your license at any time does this mean you lose both licenses. Also does this infer common laws across the states for both boating and road licensing?

J

Edited by Jocler

Issue for me is more around boat rego. Do we really need to register a tinny with a 15hp motor on it?

Given we already need rego for the trailer, pay boat, fish, and driver's licences, I think there should be some review of when a boat needs to be registered. Maybe based on length, weight, use, or similar.

Combining fishing licence is a great idea, if people catch undersize fish and get caught... they lose their car/boat/fishing licence. Hopefully it scares the sh!t out of people and stop these bad habbits.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

If you combine road and water licenses you will lose both if lose enough points on one

Not convinced of that. It was combined in QLD a few years back, both on different demerit systems. No points on a boat license up here, really at the discretion of the court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk