How To Remove A Hook

Carpe

Hi,

Just thought that I would post this info after reading the Worst Fishing trip posts ...

Here is a great way to remove a hook superficially embedded ...

post-968-1140564608_thumb.jpg

First, make sure that any bystanders are out of the way of the fishhook’s path. Next, loop a piece of fishing line several times around the belly of the hook near the skin surface. Press the shank of the hook against the skin with your index finger (1).

Wrap the other end of the string several times around the index finger of your other hand (use your thumb to hold the loose end of the string tightly) (2).

Move your index finger close to the hook to generate slack in the line. Pull on the string suddenly, with a jerk, in line with the hook. Flush the area with water, clean it with soap and water, and bandage it.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/firstaid/fishhook.shtml

Regards,

Carpe.

Holy christ! i couldnt imagine doing that when i had one stuck in my finger

(pic for those that may not have seen)

hookfinger.JPG

I was told not to pull on it incase there is a nerve or something near it that you may damage?

That hook was on a mates line, i was removing it from a fish to release it, and when i did he pulled on the rod which sent the hook into my finger.

At hospital they gave the finger an anthistetic, then sliced a bit so it would come out.

I felt like an idiot siting there at the hospital with a hook and a length of fishing line hanging of my hand :1prop:

Carpe, I will give that method ago if it ever hapens again, if it avoids puting an end to a fishing trip, and a 4 hour hospital wait, i dont care how many nerves i damage!!

Definately a good technique to know.

I have had the misfortune of accidently stabbing myself with a hook. Fortunately, 95% of the time I squash my barbs down so it's not a big drama if I get hooked. Not looking forward to that other 5% of the time though.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Well... It has happened to me on one quite embarassing holiday :1prop: . I'm at a wharf rigging up. I'm tying my favourite half blood knot. To lubricate the knot for tightening and at the same time tighten it, I hold the tag end between my teeth and pull the main line away from my mouth. I've done this a thousand times. The tag slips. I look into my refection in the water disbelievingly :wacko: . I turn to my dad, covering my mouth and say "Umm... dad... I don't want to surprise you... but is there a hook in my lip???". I remove my hand. "Yep" he replies. We drive to the local doctor (about 15 min away). The nurse calmly looks at my 'injury'. "Hmmm...", she says, "I'm going to have to take that out." Two general anasthetics later, my lip's about two inches thick. The nurse searches around for a proper tool for the operation. Not finding one, she grabs a pair of bullnose pliers. "I know this looks scary, but this isn't gonna hurt" she says. Taking a long, sharp instrument, she incised my lip exactly where the barb would've come out had it penetrated THROUGH my lip. She continues bending the hook around until the barb comes out of the hole. She snips off the barb with the pliers, pulls the hook back out the way it went in and 'hey, presto!' I'm fixed. She placed the hook in a urine sample container and said, I quote, "Y'know, one day a guy came in with a whole string of hooks in his back. That must've hurt." Imagine having a sabiki rig all along your back! Ouch! To this day, I've got that bloody size 8 long shank (minus the barb) in that urine sample container on my mantlepiece as a shrine to never be that stupid again. Now, I don't use barbless hooks, but suffice to say, I certainly don't tighten my knots that way any more!!!

Hope you enjoyed my yarn,

Flattieman.

PS. Harvard Health looks doesn't know what it's saying! - the nurse said that you should never try to pull a hook out.

PPS. Yes - today I look back on it and laugh - I'm my PB human!

:Funny-Post:

Oh - and RestoreMaz, I felt even more stupid sitting in the waiting room with a hook and length of line haging out of my mouth!

Edited by Flattieman

Sometimes you have to take them out yourself if you can't get to a doctor. The method posted by Carpe works well but it's best if someone else yanks it out. If doing it to yourself you tend to hesitate a bit & drag it out slowly (& painfully). Beats the hell out of pushing it through then cutting of the point & barb.

Naturally a doctor & local anasthetic are the way to go if at all possible.

Sometimes you have to take them out yourself if you can't get to a doctor. The method posted by Carpe works well but it's best if someone else yanks it out. If doing it to yourself you tend to hesitate a bit & drag it out slowly (& painfully). Beats the hell out of pushing it through then cutting of the point & barb.

Naturally a doctor & local anasthetic are the way to go if at all possible.

Yeah - good point. I'm glad I had access to medical facilities.

Flattieman.

The string method works best with smaller hooks, for larger ofshore type beasties the better method is to take a clean bait needle and insert it BLUNT end first on the barb side of the hole, push the meat away from the barb and hold it there then slowly extract the hook followed by the needle. Sounds gruesome and painful and it is, but far better than having a 10/0 hanging out of your leg!!

Keep in mind that there are some locations that you can stab yourself where it may be better to leave the object in place if safe to do so untill appropriate medical help can be given.

Guest bluecod

At the first Fly Social I cast a fly into my forearm and had a kind Queenslander remove it with the fishing line "tug" method - came out neat as a pin and didn't rip its way out - the trick is to exert a fair bit of pressure on the eye of the hook as you rip it out.

Some years before in an accident a mate ended up with the barb of a treble imbedded between in the corner of his eye - definite surgical removal required in that instance

Yeh thanks fellas, I just got back up off the floor after fainting :wacko:

I had to perform the push through method on a mate once before, Not nice as we were on rocks and he promtly fainted.

I had to catch him and hold his head to prevent damage as he convulsed like some do.

He got back up and cracked another VB :1fishing1: