Buying Penn 8500ss Soon Need Help.

ozguy

Hi folks,

First time posting in this forum, got hook on fishing last month when i went on a fishing charter trip.

Currenly i got a 7 ft Ugly Stik Power Plus, Line Capacity is around 6-10K....wanted to know whether Penn 8500SS be a good match for my rod??? i can get it for $200

I also got a 12 ft rod, thinking of using the reel for both 7ft and 12ft, also how can you tell when buying a rod whether it's a sensitive rod or not???

What will be the diff b/w 8500SS and 6500SS ( i know the later one is lighter )

Cheers :)

Hi folks,

First time posting in this forum, got hook on fishing last month when i went on a fishing charter trip.

Currenly i got a 7 ft Ugly Stik Power Plus, Line Capacity is around 6-10K....wanted to know whether Penn 8500SS be a good match for my rod??? i can get it for $200

I also got a 12 ft rod, thinking of using the reel for both 7ft and 12ft, also how can you tell when buying a rod whether it's a sensitive rod or not???

What will be the diff b/w 8500SS and 6500SS ( i know the later one is lighter )

I think the 8500 SS may be a bit too heavy. Go the 6500 SS. To fihure out whether a rod is sensitive, give the rod tip a bend. DON'T BREAK IT THOUGH.

Flattieman.

I think the 8500 SS may be a bit too heavy. Go the 6500 SS. To fihure out whether a rod is sensitive, give the rod tip a bend. DON'T BREAK IT THOUGH.

Flattieman.

Thanks for the info Flattieman.... as stated above i got a 12ft rod and i use them for rock and beach as well.

The tackle shop i went to no longer stock 8500SS or 6500SS, i was thinking of getting it there coz it's cheap!

Anyway i am back to square one now.....i am looking for a $200 reel can someone recommend me some good one???

8500 is good for 12ft...

i have a size 6000 penn and it looks like a little piece of S&*T on a 12ft rod.

when fishin rocks and beach you will want a little bit of extra line capacity and strength in the drag so go the 8500ss...

who cares about a few grams weight when you have a rod that length to fling out your big baits...

good luck

CFD

Yeah - I've actually got the 8500SS but I haven't used it yet - looks good though and I'm sure it'll easily handle big beach jewies. :biggrin2: Ozguy - just look for reputable brands such as Daiwa, Shimano, Penn etc. Ask the guy at the shop for assistance if you need it - they're there to help and often you'll find that they can tell you from first-hand knowledge what is best.

Flattieman.

Stick with the Penn if you can afford it.

They are over engineered and are a bit "clunky",but the fact still remains that with fewer moving bits,you will have fewer problems.

Also,the bearings in these things are easily replacable,you can go to any bearing shop and they will match it up for you with sheilded SS for $4 each.

Stick with the Penn if you can afford it.

Rekless where were you when I was asking opinions :074::074::biggrin2:

Coz, ozyguy I just got this because everyone has nothing but good things to say about it and its very versitlie...

I'm heading up north at the end of the month for a weeks holiday/ :1fishing1: with the :wife:

I know one day that I'll also get the Penn.

Rekless where were you when I was asking opinions :074::074::biggrin2:

Coz, ozyguy I just got this because everyone has nothing but good things to say about it and its very versitlie...

I'm heading up north at the end of the month for a weeks holiday/ :1fishing1: with the :wife:

I know one day that I'll also get the Penn.

So you think Shimano BTR 6500B is better then the Slammer 560LA.

I am comparing both now the weight on the Shimano is 870 grams against 570 on the slammers.

Would the Shimano be overkill for a 7 ft rod???

Sorry for asking so many Q's just want to make sure i can get the best!

BTW where did u get the Shimano ??? are you located in Melbourne??

Just one more Q's the Shimano feature water-poof is that mean all the part inside will be corresion ( spelling ) free?

How about the Slammer 560LA???

Edited by ozguy

Would the Shimano be overkill for a 7 ft rod?

Mine Combo came with a 7ft spinning rod :biggrin2:

I'm sorry but I dont know anything about the slammer, I went on its reputation at this Site almost entirely.

As you can see I havent even put line on it yet

Some guys/dolls here will surely give you answers to all your questions

I would probably go for a shimano over the penn as they have better parts backup, both reels though would serve you fine, have a feel for both on the rod you plan to use and make a decision, either way you should be fine.

You could also look at the shimano spheros...good reels, and you can get them beefed up too. They would suit the 12ft rod, but might be too big for the 7ft.

Price wise, have a look at Campbells from WA . Even with $10 delivery, I cant get cheaper reels in Sydney. New Penns are on the way as well but still to be tested.

Edited by squidgie

I am heading toward BTR4500 but still undecided whether i should Penn Slammer 560LA. The Slammer cost $50 more. Both above reels should suit my 12 ft and 7 ft rod, swapping from time to time.

Please help me make a good decission :thumbup:

I am heading toward BTR4500 but still undecided whether i should Penn Slammer 560LA. The Slammer cost $50 more. Both above reels should suit my 12 ft and 7 ft rod, swapping from time to time.

Please help me make a good decission :thumbup:

I know that the baitrunner feature on the BTR45OO is definitely an advantage when targeting many species, I don't know anything about the slammers, but just going on the fact that the BTR4500 is a baitrunner, it may come more in handy.

Flattieman.

I know that the baitrunner feature on the BTR45OO is definitely an advantage when targeting many species, I don't know anything about the slammers, but just going on the fact that the BTR4500 is a baitrunner, it may come more in handy.

Flattieman.

BTW BTR4500 feature water-proof....does that mean it's service free after a fishing trip???

Any another good reels around ????

Penn is now being made in China

Gaff

Yep,

Gaff is spot on here, I too was looking at getting a 8500 SS for beach work and found out they are discontinued & all other Penn threadlines are coming out of China.

Ended up with the Shimano Speedmaster, an absolute workhorse.

Cheers,

Craig

Yep,

Gaff is spot on here, I too was looking at getting a 8500 SS for beach work and found out they are discontinued & all other Penn threadlines are coming out of China.

Ended up with the Shimano Speedmaster, an absolute workhorse.

Cheers,

Craig

I recently got a 8500 SS that was made in Philadelphia, USA. Maybe it was the last of the Mohicans?

Flattieman.