Night V Day With Plastics

Just wondering wether fishing with plastics is better suited to daylight fishing or are night time results just as good?

Personally I have not been able to catch a fish on plastics after dark, I'm talking fish like flatties and bream not jewies which I have not been able to catch period :wacko:

I'd be interested to hear your veiws

Cheers

Rob

I have caught plenty of flatties at night along with bream, Tailor, flounder, trevally and eps or should I say ep. I find at night time a little extra action goes a long way and i also stick to light coloured plastics if the water is very dirty and dark plastics if the water is clean. A jighead with a spinner blade is good as it sends out great vibrations and enough lead to make the tale pulse if you are using shads help as well.

G'day,

I've found the same, if fishing at night I am using either shads or larger .

Last night fish outing I used a berkley power bait 4" minnow grub in glass minnow ( clear ) with a 1/16 head for casting from land ( left boat at home ) and then just used a slow medium slow medium retrieve and let the tail do the work. This sp also has a reflector foil inside so with some light above me from a bridge it worked well. Caught bream only a few good keepers along with plenty of aggro little guy's which makes me think it was the tail action and not the size of the sp grub( only an opinion ).

Then changed my spot and sp to a 1/24 head with a 2" pink lemonade grub flicking around a jetty with a few boats and got my little sp dragged kicking and screaming under a boat and busted off ( big bream?? ), so for me at night shads or grubs..

hope this helps.

cheers wd

Thanks fellas interesting.

Wdfish I notice you're at Menai so were you fishing alonf the Georges?

Mark do you fish under lights as well?, the spot I fish usually is very poorly lit.

Hi Rob,

Yeah, very rarely go out without the boat but when I get the chance I head down to Tom Uglys or Captain Cook bridges for a land based sp session for a few hours to see what I can drag up.

It's not always super productive, which questions that I may be doing soemthing wrong, though I usually get a few good hits and the odd fish ( mainly bream ).

cheers wd

• 1 month later...
Guest danielinbyron

i have caught a number of jewies on softs at night on a new moon with no or v little artaficial ambient light using dark and white 6inch tsunami shads...i first heard an old man of very few words say"theres nuthin wrong with there eyes" in ref to jew fishing with hard body lures on new moon at night... just happened to be in the tackle store at the right time .. then tried practicing the principal of dark water dark lures light water light lures.. but with jew fish its hard to corrolate any meaningful data as they are so inconsistant...but haVE CAUGHT JEW AT NIGHT WITH BOTH DARK AND LIGHT..oops caplok.

i do know this for city fisherman .. the guy who catches the most jew under the bridges up here stalks them.. they're hunting bait fish in the ambient street light.... his theory is that if they can see you they'll get spooked and be v pikky on what they bite....hes got the numbers to be taken seriously...cheers good luck it'll happen the jewy .. just keep trying new stuff... match the hatch....

Hey Rob just my 2 cents worth. I do a lot of my fishing after dark because of the nature of my work

and I can say from my accounts (freshwater and salt...more salt these days) that irrespective of lighting

scenario's you will catch fish in any situation from artificial light to as black as the hole in Calcutta......

which I've never been to personally. But on plastics and even hardbodies (used to chase Cod, yellowbellyand trout back home on hardbodies, fly after dark you've got to know the fish are there and believe what you are doing will work. Through a bit of research and observations you can target fish in any light spectrums. There are so many variables that come into play... But I personally believe that of a night

your bigger brethren come out to play and shed some of there daytime reservations they have tucked up

in there hidey holes. At the end of the day.... or night either practise will work if you can locate where the

fish will be at that time.

Hey Rob just my 2 cents worth. I do a lot of my fishing after dark because of the nature of my work

and I can say from my accounts (freshwater and salt...more salt these days) that irrespective of lighting

scenario's you will catch fish in any situation from artificial light to as black as the hole in Calcutta......

which I've never been to personally. But on plastics and even hardbodies (used to chase Cod, yellowbellyand trout back home on hardbodies, fly after dark you've got to know the fish are there and believe what you are doing will work. Through a bit of research and observations you can target fish in any light spectrums. There are so many variables that come into play... But I personally believe that of a night

your bigger brethren come out to play and shed some of there daytime reservations they have tucked up

in there hidey holes. At the end of the day.... or night either practise will work if you can locate where the

That was more like 8 cents worth :1prop:

Dan

Fishing at night with SPs can be very good Ive caught plenty of flatties EPs tailor been wrapped around pilons by jewies and have even caught a blackfish hooked in the mouth all of it done off a bridge Best SP by far for me is a 65mm squidgyfish in jellyprawn rigged on a 5gm jighead I wont say where but I would say any bridge with lights and a footpath will work