26-3 (bit Belated Report)

Nicho

Went down to Miranda to catch up with a mate and chase a few flatties and we ended up in Gunumatta bay (not sure if that’s how its spelt)

The three of us casted from about 1:00 to 4:00pm along a really good looking drop off, I was surprised that we didn’t get any flatties as we worked the weedbeds on a rising tide, but my mate did catch his first ever fish on soft plastic’s.. a little snapper around 20cm’s.

(I think the water may have been too clear)

I then hooked up to a monster of a whiting, that went 45-50Cm’s.. At first I thought it was a little Jew as there were headshakes and long runs..

The question is, does Sydney have Bone Fish? This whiting.. in all respects looked like a whiting, but something “wasn’t quite right”. I am thinking that if people do get bone fish in the area, then its probably one of them instead.

The “whiting” also ended up being the luckiest fish of the day, as I had him in my hand and was going to keep him for a meal. As I reached around to put him in the bag, he rolled out of my hand and on his way to freedom.

(that’s life I guess!!)

I also came across my first ever numb ray… they give you a hell of a fright/shock when you step on them don’t they!!!

All in all a great day to be out there, I gotta admit that I don’t know southern Sydney well, but it looks like it’s a top little water way.

Went down to Miranda to catch up with a mate and chase a few flatties and we ended up in Gunumatta bay (not sure if that’s how its spelt)

The three of us casted from about 1:00 to 4:00pm along a really good looking drop off, I was surprised that we didn’t get any flatties as we worked the weedbeds on a rising tide, but my mate did catch his first ever fish on soft plastic’s.. a little snapper around 20cm’s.

(I think the water may have been too clear)

I then hooked up to a monster of a whiting, that went 45-50Cm’s.. At first I thought it was a little Jew as there were headshakes and long runs..

The question is, does Sydney have Bone Fish? This whiting.. in all respects looked like a whiting, but something “wasn’t quite right”. I am thinking that if people do get bone fish in the area, then its probably one of them instead.

The “whiting” also ended up being the luckiest fish of the day, as I had him in my hand and was going to keep him for a meal. As I reached around to put him in the bag, he rolled out of my hand and on his way to freedom.

(that’s life I guess!!)

I also came across my first ever numb ray… they give you a hell of a fright/shock when you step on them don’t they!!!

All in all a great day to be out there, I gotta admit that I don’t know southern Sydney well, but it looks like it’s a top little water way.

Nice report, Nicho. :1welcomeani: to the site as well. I regularly fish Port Hacking (and love it, too!). I've personally never heard of bonefish in the Hacking, but a reliable source caught a 55-60cm sand whiting in the region (can't remember if it was George's River or PH). It wouldn't surprise me if it was a bonefish - weird migrations/global warming :wacko: and Gunnamatta is pretty close to the mouth of the Hacking. Shame you didn't get a photo. Were you fishing Darook Park flats?

Flattieman.

I think you would have known if it was a bonefish they go like they are supercharged and have much larger tails than a whiting

It could have been a king george whiting which have occasionly been caught in Port Hacking though I havent heard of one for quite a few years

Edited by The Iceman

Guest Jewel

There have been bones caught in Port Hacking, but the last I heard of was almost 15 years ago, however The Port is known for producing some insane whiting (I have caught them to 40 cm there but that was some time ago too! AND LUCKY MORE THAN ANYTHIING ELSE! )......... can you post a pic? The two are similar but not the same and a pic is usually enough to sort it out. Bones tend to be much greener that whiting and damn they go!!!