Best High Speed Spinning Reel/rod

ozguy

Hi guys,

I am looking for a high speed spinning reel, main thing is it had to be light, can handle a tought fight, mainly use for river fishing.

Also i need some good rod as well, prefer lightest as possioble.

Cheers :)

I have a large stradic which is great for spinning off the rocks, and the smaller versions would be great. Or the daiwa reels in the same class would be the same. Rods, depending on how long and what you are after , you can get a number of small flick sticks by shimano like the rack raiders etc, and they would suit and numerous graphite jobs too would suit . I use a shimano sienna 2500 and a graphite rod outfit for flicking around and that works great for me. But you can up market from that easily.

What type of fish are you after ?

Im sure others who do more light tackle spinning can chip in with what they use.

post-1888-1145278718_thumb.jpg

post-1888-1145278686_thumb.jpg

Hi ozguy

Based on personal experience I would recomend a shimano symetre in the 2000 size (now 2500 in current shimano lineup) This has 6.0:1 retrive and an aluminium frame and spool. I have coaught spotted and spanish mackerels on this so I think it is quite tough. This is what I use for hard body lures which run at 10'+ and have a very strong action which is very tough on the reel. I bought mine about three years ago for $160 and it has now caught countless bream and flathead as well as a few trips to Fiji and Hervey Bay QLD targeting macks and jacks

I have paired this with a rod I do called the flathead L. This is on an IM7 blank which is 7' 2pc and has a very sensitive tip. The rod doesnt turn inside out with lures like strecth 10+ and pak rats 10+ as well as stumpjumper 4.9m bibs.

Also casts and fishes lightest sp jigheads extremly well.

Built with TiCH guides with SiC rings, real carbon fibre insert reel seat with gold hoods and bamboo burl cork it costs $230. I can do it for $180 with my regular 'A' grade cork and gold framed hialoy guides. Looks very elegant in either build.

You can arrange to have a few shore based flicks around Iron Cove in the weekend to try it out.