Sydney Fad

netic

After hearing some good reports from the fads decided i may have packed the boat away a litle too early this year.

Decided to go out to the Port Jackson Fad to see what was around.

Was met with some pretty bad swell and a strong southerly but decided to go out anyway after spending an hour getting 20 or so yakkas.

Once we reached the fad the dollies were jumping all over the place, threw in the yakkas and got hit straight away.

Managed to get 6 dollies all around 55cm-60cm under 10 minutes when the southerly really kicked in, all you could here was the wind. The waters when from bad to worse so decided we had to leave in the middle of this great action.

The ride back was hell, i really was worried as the 2 metre swell was breaking on my boat which is only a 4.75m alum. 3 times we were just short of flipping. after 30 minutes at an extremely slow speed we made it back through the heads and then i was just relieved. We were staturated and the boat had taken a hammering, but she held up ok.

Learned a good lesson today, don't mess with nature because you will never win.

Anyway after that decided to call it a day.

The dollies are still around so once the southerly dies down it might be worth a trip for a few raiders.

maybe the lynx is the key to his sucess on the kings and dollies hes been pullin in this season, the new ultrabite aye?? :1prop:

nice bag of fish there netic and thankfully you made it back ive spoken to many people who have had some scary encounters in the swell and they take the seas very seriously now.

well done on the catch

cheers pk

Edited by pk-fishn

Guest Big-Banana

Sorry mate but in a 4.75m boat you cant much around. Its different to get caught in a big swell but just dangerous to go out in one. As keen as I was to have one last go at the tuna, I gave it a miss. No fish is worth your life. In a 7m boat we have had one moment where realising this.

I have been out on some really crap days in the past but today was different, the swells were only around 2 metres but they were actual waves as if i was at the beach, really woke me up, and gave me a hell of a sore back

Hi Netic

I was just wonderin whats a good method of

cooking up them Dollies,does any1 know?

:1fishing1: penguin

Mate dont eat fish personally but here is a recipe my mate uses, he got it off google, you can probably find many on there.

1 kg dolphin fish fillets

salt and pepper

juice of 2 lemons

1 clove crushed garlic

2 eggs

plain flour

oil

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/4 cup white wine

1 banana, sliced diagonally

1/2 pawpaw, diced or balled

Cut fillets to serving size pieces.

Marinate fillets in salt, pepper, crushed garlic and the juice of 1 lemon for 1 hour.

Beat eggs.

Heat 1cm of oil in a frying pan.

Drain fillets and pat dry.

Dip fillets in beaten eggs, then in flour. Place gently into hot oil.

Fry until browned on both sides but not cooked through.

Place in ovenproof serving dish.

Combine melted butter, wine and juice of remaining lemon.

Pour over fillets.

Arrange pawpaw balls and sliced banana over fish and cook for 7-10 minutes, in a moderate oven until fillets are just done.

Serve fish with a crisp green salad.

Bloosgottaboat

visit this site for fad co-ordinates

Just be careful, 3 metre swells have been predicted for the next few days and constant southerlies.

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...ads_-_locations

Edited by netic

Guest Sea Tow Botany

I have been out on some really crap days in the past but today was different, the swells were only around 2 metres but they were actual waves as if i was at the beach, really woke me up, and gave me a hell of a sore back

Netic I dont know what to say about you going out in those conditions, a boat a my marina turned back and he was only 36ft and he saw 40fters go out and 15mins later come back in the heads

The main thing is you got back safely to your family, its a long swim back from the FAD

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

Netic I dont know what to say about you going out in those conditions, a boat a my marina turned back and he was only 36ft and he saw 40fters go out and 15mins later come back in the heads

The main thing is you got back safely to your family, its a long swim back from the FAD

Dave

Sea Tow Botany Bay

Dave, Trust me I learnt a good lesson yesterday, i have been in rough waters many times, and i mean 3-5 metre swells and felt safe. but yesterday was different, it was the first time that i thought "shit i might not make it back in". Just happy to have been able to get back and live to tell the tale. All i can say to fisho's with smaller boats is be careful.

Edited by netic

I was there too yestorday morning on a charter boat, that was a 38 ft, but i still suffered the serious seasick due to the terrible condition. we didn't have much luck, all we were getting were leather jackets, but still good to see some keen fishoes having success.

NETIC,

YOU ARE A BRAVE MAN...!!!! I was out at Botany yesteray and it looked ugly out there. It was cold and windy... What one will do for a fish...!!!??? I incounted a nasty once trying to get back into Port Stephens. Took me close to 3 hours to get back from Broughton Island being smashed around like ping-pong ball...

Did you get wet :tease: ?

mate we were saturated, and i mean saturated.

Didnt realise how wet we were until we got back to cliffo.

All i know is that my mate who was a boating first timer says he is never going again, practically shit himself.

Joe Dwyer

Yes i have a Stessco 475 Alum with a 70 Yami, which by the way held up very well after getting airbourne a few times off the waves, held up alot better then my back which is killing me today.

in my last post i said i have a stessco boat allso,,it has a full biminni with plastics ,,and its great , keeps the water out,,have allso been out in some big swells and had the waves brake over the windscreen,,,not a nice thing to happen ....you can see my boat at www.fishit13.blogspot.com ///////// one day i will learn how to post a link,,,but not today..

in my last post i said i have a stessco boat allso,,it has a full biminni with plastics ,,and its great , keeps the water out,,have allso been out in some big swells and had the waves brake over the windscreen,,,not a nice thing to happen ....you can see my boat at www.fishit13.blogspot.com ///////// one day i will learn how to post a link,,,but not today..

Netic,

Wise words there mate and glad we were reading your words and not the newspapers. :1yikes: Praise the Good Lord that you made it back safe. He must have something in store for you still. Good stuff. A lesson for us all.

Wombat :thumbup:

I have a 475 Hussar 2001 model, yours seems to have a deeper hull than mine, but i now know that the boat can handle some really bad conditions, just hope i never have to test it again... but will be heading out this weekend

Edited by netic

makes me think twice to go there to catch dollies

i just bought a 475 aluminium quintrex topender with a 60 hp yammie

Mate you will be fine going in your boat, i have seen 12ft dinghies there, just go on a good day. Check the reports and always let someone know where you are going and when you should be back, so atleast if something happens somebody will know to sound the alarm. Also have all the safety equipment, Flares, Jackets and if possible an epirb. And always remember carry extra fuel, i have a 70 litre tank but still tank a 10litre bottle of extra fuel.

Dont let what happen to me worry you too much, that day i was just stupid, it was way too rough and i was just way too eager.

Surprisingly 10km isnt that far, when your actually out there it seems like you are only a few km's out.

Best thing you could probably do is go with another boat, atleast you will have the added bonus of having assistance straight away if anything went wrong.

You seem to take undue risks for a fishing trip that is supposed to fun Netic .IMO .People viewing your posts will think it is ok to venture offshore in any sort of sea conditions :thumbdown: 12 foot tinnies out 10 klms is just looking for trouble on all but the flattest of days .And as for saying to others you will be fine offshore in that boat ???,how do you know how much sea experience they have had and can they handle a crisis if ones happens to turn up ?? .If you are foolhardy enough to go out in adverse weather conditions you will come undone sooner or later its just a matter of time ,To my way of thinking you may neeed to rethink your strageties some days as its not worth risking the lives of yourself or crew members just for a fish because you were over excited "your words not mine ".

Safety in paramount in any situation ,especially travelling offshore in small trailer boats .

Cheers Swordfisherman

I understand that i tend to be stupid at times and go out when i shouldnt and i definately dont recommend people do that.

Thats why I did say go out on a good day and always check the reports, Trust me i would never want anyone to get caught in what i was in on Tuesday and the last thing i want to hear is that someone lost thier life due to my advice.

I would definately not recommend anyone go out on a day like Tuesday and I now will be much more cautious when venturing out after that experience. But it will not stop me from going out all together. It will just make me more selective on the days i choose to go out.

I do agree with you, Safety should always come first and trust me, i dont wanna get injured or possible die in order to get some fish.

Guest Big-Banana

I remember a day when I was at Brookly ramp after coming back in at 9am with a rough southerly which wasnt forecasted. We had got the boat back on and were cleaning a couple of tuna. A bloke was just arriving at the ramp, saw the fish and thought he would have a go. We were at the ramp having a chat with some other fishos when on the radio we think the same bloke was in strife in his 16ft boat. He called mayday but it was to damn rough to do anything about it. Coast guard was alerted and sent out. His motor sh*t itself and was sitting beam to and copping a hiding for a 3-5 meter swell. This showed me that doesnt matter how good the fishing is, it is never ever worth it. Coast Guard risked their own lives to help this blokes stupidity. Thats my 2 cents.

I’m sure we all agree on safety procedure and never under estimate the seas….

I just want to add, while 10km is not a long way out, it can become a very long way when conditions turn ugly. I have been outside and seen both sea and weather conditions change from good to horrifying in less than an hour.

It once took me close to 3 hour on a 6.0m half cabin / glass boat to travel 14km…. Since then my rule is: “If I can hear the wind cutting through the outrigger line, it’s time to head in…”

Don’t take risk if it can be prevented. There is always tomorrow…

Regards,

Choteo