Caught Something-- Dont Know What It Is

union

This is some weird shit. I picked this up from newcastle harbour today.

139707722_0166a59e5f_m.jpg

have no idea what it is, looks poisionous to me, so i didnt touch it and clipped my line.

As you may not be able to see, it has a large horn on top of its head, also it has small horn like lumps on its tail. Its a purple colour.

Edited by union

yep thats a leatherjaket 4 sure

good eatin and easy to clean! theve got no scales just a skin that comes right off

oh, damn so i chucked back something good?

it was a good size too.

Looked disgusting though.

oh, damn so i chucked back something good?

it was a good size too.

Looked disgusting though.

Mate have you ever seen the sort of fish they get black caviar from??

Try punching LUMPFISH into google image search and see what comes up...

As CFD said, looks can most certainly be deceiving, especially in the fish world...

Ah well, now you know for next time and I'm sure he's hanging around somewhere waiting for you to catch him again...

Cheers, Tony

:1fishing1:

Guest maraudingmado

Ok who's been taking photos of the missus. Bloody papparatzi!!!!

Whoops here she comes gotta go............ouch!!!! :wife::wife::wife::wife::wife:

bathyurochd21146735225.jpg

What IS this thing? :1yikes:

Yeah you will find the raiders here have a love-hate relationship with leatherjackets. On one hand they are great to eat but on the other hand they are one of the main things that keep Berkley and other SP manufacturers in business because they can chew packs upon packs of SPs to bits in no time flat!

I actually think they are quite cool looking fish when they are colourful...a bit wacko :biggrin2:

This is some weird shit. I picked this up from newcastle harbour today.

139707722_0166a59e5f_m.jpg

have no idea what it is, looks poisionous to me, so i didnt touch it and clipped my line.

As you may not be able to see, it has a large horn on top of its head, also it has small horn like lumps on its tail. Its a purple colour.

Yep, I'm pretty sure its a leatherjacket caught a 2kg one thursday near Boltons Reef. This one wasnt ugly at all lots of beautiful colours.yellows,purples and greens I put him in the fish holding tank. watched him swim around with his fins out really beautiful. :1prop: He was also really smart too could swim backwards as well :tease: that was some party trick.

Guest danielinbyron

whats the biggest leather jacket you guys have got

i once saw a old timer get a monster years ago on the south coast that was at least 60cm from the rocks

i got my biggest one on my best ever miscast.. it was under the rock i was standing on at vaucluse.. don't know where my line hung up but my bait landed two foot in front of me {after my best effort to get it to manly.}and by the time i looked around to make sure no one had seen it...

whats the biggest leather jacket you guys have got

Hi Guys,

This is about the biggest for me. They were in plague proportions that day, just look at how skinny this one was. They were attacking each other when hooked they were that hungry.

Taken down south off Marley Wreck fishing with Geoff.

post-237-1146913152_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

nice leather jacket mate, good pic too captured the colours well.

really tasty fish one of my fav's.

cheer.

elvis presley fish so called and wearing leather jackets all the time and the horn is there to stick it up

well good eating anyway .or chinamen 6 spine without jacket.