The Budget

OWZAT

G`day Fellas ,

I`m curious to know if anybody else got the Feeling , when watching Peter Costello handing down Last Nights Budget , that he had been told Howard is about to step down and his time had come?.

I just got the feeling somehow , that this 10th budget was a handover budget , anyone else agree ?.

I cant see any loosers in this budget , which would suggest that something is afoot .

Mick

G`day Fellas ,

I`m curious to know if anybody else got the Feeling , when watching Peter Costello handing down Last Nights Budget , that he had been told Howard is about to step down and his time had come?.

I just got the feeling somehow , that this 10th budget was a handover budget , anyone else agree ?.

I cant see any loosers in this budget , which would suggest that something is afoot .

Mick

Hmmm, I think Howard will stand at the next election and then hand over to Costello. Libs can't risk losing votes by having Costello as the leader. Doubtful that labour would win against Costello given their utter ineptitude, but they would have a better chance if Costello was opposing them. For some reason, the electorate loves John Howard - must love liars :biggrin2:

BTW, I think it was his 11th budget, but who's counting :1prop:

Mick - no doubt it is a populist budget.

Too bad they didn't have the testicular fortitude to pour some real dollars from the surplus into health and transport infrastructure, and real tax reform. Many people will see this as a break even budget - what they save in tax goes on the mortgage and petrol. The superannuation reform at this point looks pretty good, but I haven't seen the detail.

Don't get me started on the IR reforms. Yes there was need of reform, but how far did the pendulum need to swing?

Ken

G`day Fellas ,

I was focusing more on on the seemingly euphoric state he was in , rather than the politics .

His body language was strongly suggesting to me , that this was more than a giveaway budget , but more of a sweetener for his Transition to PM.

But for those who were expecting increases in child care , education , and health , well , if they follow the same routine as the last 10 bugets , ( Yes this was his 11th ) the next one will be a Doozie.

Evey election Budget , they have spent just about everything in the kitty , thereby leaving no room for the oppostion to move , and with 38 billion already in the economy from this budget , and an 11 billion dollar surplus already forecast for 2007 , no wonder the Reserve Bank is warning of another Rate rise as soon as August .

I will be watching with great interest , what unfolds over the next month or two , and If I`m wrong , I`ll stop playing Party Poker on thursday nights.

Although I have to say , even though I have been knocked out early over the last two weeks , amazingly , the 4 of us who go together , have either won or ran second over the last 4 weeks .

Mick

Edited by OWZAT