General

whiteox3

Hi all, can some one help a old yank on a few terms .what is a rat ? how can i tell a king from a jew? all i know is what a bream looks like. are the crabs caught on a hand line?

plan to be at wiseman ferry wed night and launch the boat thursday also do to the high cost of fuel i am looking for a pinic area to camp. and use the money i save for fuel. anyone know of such a place ? I have a slide on camper . I bought my boat 2 years ago and this will be the frist time I have used it .So any tips on this new adventure will be happly recived thanks raders donnie

Hi all, can some one help a old yank on a few terms .what is a rat ? how can i tell a king from a jew? all i know is what a bream looks like. are the crabs caught on a hand line?

plan to be at wiseman ferry wed night and launch the boat thursday also do to the high cost of fuel i am looking for a pinic area to camp. and use the money i save for fuel. anyone know of such a place ? I have a slide on camper . I bought my boat 2 years ago and this will be the frist time I have used it .So any tips on this new adventure will be happly recived thanks raders donnie

Cant help you too much with the camping side but a rat is a small kingfish, usaully under 70cms long....the main difference between a king and a jew is the fact that a kingfish has a Yellow Tail, Also Jews have scales where as kings dont.

Kingfish

Jewfish

Guest wayneo

gday donnie

i think you have high expectations but honestly good luck mate with chasing a jew and some kingies mate

im a jew fisherman and they gat pretty big as you will see my jew i got last month

cheers wayneo

post-1729-1147738661_thumb.jpg

Donnie - you bought a boat two years ago and have never used it? What the?

Anyway you're setting the bar pretty high here mate - kingies and jewies on your first boat-fishing expedition ever!! I've been fishing for over 20 years and have never caught either of the above species(although I've never had access to a boat).

Are you sure you wouldn't be better off chasing slightly more accessible fish, like bream & flatties?

Mondo

They get tht big wow! out of my zone Which is the best to eat? Donnie

eating qualities differ from person to person, dont eat fish myself but have been told that both taste pretty good, smaller jews i have been told taste better than the larger ones.

As stated previously mate, these fish can take years to master, as mondo suggested i would target Bream, flathead, tailor in your position.

I love to eat both. I only eat fish as is no herbs, marinades just fish with a tiny squirt of lemon.

I prefer jew up to about the 5 or 6kg mark and kingies are great too!!!

You never know you may get lucky and land your first jew.

So count him out yet fellas...... you never know... :1prop:

Hey Donnie you are not related to Marie by any chance are you :1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani::1welcomeani:

thanks all , You are right I had my hope set to high. But at least I will beable to tell the two a part .

Years ago I had a boat in sydney but mostly went out to sea.Dont think ever fished the harbor. now retired.

and hope to spend a lot of time fishing. Inside sheldred waters, As I live about five hours from Sydney[ over the blue mountains] I belive the Hawksbury will be the easys to get to Any way I will be there friday .

And if I catch a fish it will be a + might snag one will be around wiseman ferry for 7 - 10 days anyway if you see a old fat man in a white and blue boat with two white dogs give me a wave as I am friendly as hell, and will need all the help I can get LOL Donnie

Good on ya donnie. My wife got a jew the first time she ever came out to target one.

Do your homework beforehand mate and you may just come up trumps. Even if it's your first time targeting these fish, be prepared. Last thing you want is to hook one un-expectedly and loose it from not being ready.

Good luck mate.

A rat is a small (undersize) king fish. the best way to tell a king from a jew is the king fish has a big forked yellow tail as apposed to a big paddle tail. Jews have a lot bigger scales than kingfish. Not many kingfish up wisemans ferry way but there are jew fish, bream and bass.

Not sure about the picnic area.

Good luck!