Growing Weed

Guest Saqa

Guest Saqa

Hi all

Interested to know if any of you have thought about or experimented with growing greenweed. I have been thinking about this for a while as Its been hard work trying to find any.

Edited by Saqa

Guest crow

Well the heading grabs attention and brings back memorys of the boys in blue at my door but sorry i dont know how to grow that weed.Can you still smoke it.

:Funny-Post::074:

Hi all

Interested to know if any of you have thought about or experimented with growing greenweed. I have been thinking about this for a while as Its been hard work trying to find any.

Saqa,

I knew a guy that tried and failed. The problem is that Blackfish definitely prefer weed that has come from the tidal saltwater canals, creeks, lagoons etc rather than the freshwater stuff, as a result, its very hard to replicate these tidal conditions in your own backyard.

Unless offcourse you are lucky enough to have a backyard that backs onto one of these creeks :biggrin2:

PS, I've tried freshwater weed (from a golf course) before without success, actually I made the mistake of washing some greenweed in freshwater once and nothing would go near it.

I got some weed today, there is plenty there but alot of rubbish mixed in with it and a lot of work sorting it out.

Saqa,

I knew a guy that tried and failed. The problem is that Blackfish definitely prefer weed that has come from the tidal saltwater canals, creeks, lagoons etc rather than the freshwater stuff, as a result, its very hard to replicate these tidal conditions in your own backyard.

Unless offcourse you are lucky enough to have a backyard that backs onto one of these creeks :biggrin2:

PS, I've tried freshwater weed (from a golf course) before without success, actually I made the mistake of washing some greenweed in freshwater once and nothing would go near it.

I got some weed today, there is plenty there but alot of rubbish mixed in with it and a lot of work sorting it out.

In that case, does/did the weed from the Newcastle free trial green bait weed pool work?? It must be freshwater?

Guest bluecod

In that case, does/did the weed from the Newcastle free trial green bait weed pool work?? It must be freshwater?

I've heard of the trial pool - any idea where it is located??

Mate, I've got no idea whether this weed pool is fresh or saltwater, not being from Newcastle, I've never heard of it before.

Edited by cap3

Mate, I've got no idea whether this weed pool is fresh or saltwater, not being from Newcastle, I've never heard of it before.

Can't believe I've heard of something some others haven't....

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/recreation...tank,_newcastle

Whether its still there or not I don't know - I just came across the link the other day and don't know any more than whats on that page.....

Now the money came out of the 'saltwater trust', but going from the location, unless they have water piped from the ocean somewhere, it must be freshwater.

Now don't go and rip it all up, will you guys??? :)

Edited by abitfishy

I have that weed in our salt water tank at home but it must run over some sort of weir in the tank and have the correct amount of lighting to make it grow and you will never get enough to make it a viable bait supply

Cheers Stewy

I knew a guy a long time ago that lived at Laurieton (Mid North Coast). He has a small creek running along his back fence. He cut a small channel into it and ran a section into this back yard and had weed growing in it.

He had to get some weed from somewhere else to start with.

The best place I know of the get weed is in Homebush Bicentenial Park. The swamps at the back of the park are full of it. The last time I went there the ranger told me it was not legal. After I protested he then modified his comments to "you can get it if you ask them first."

Good Luck.

Hi,

Been watching your comments, just wanted to say I have seen a reference to an artificial weed fly on the net. The page was titled DavidW flytying or similiar. It had a fly that looked like green weed and one to look like cabbage.

I am not an initiated luderick fisher yet so has anyone used them or is it a joke?

jd

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Been watching your comments, just wanted to say I have seen a reference to an artificial weed fly on the net. The page was titled DavidW flytying or similiar. It had a fly that looked like green weed and one to look like cabbage.

I am not an initiated luderick fisher yet so has anyone used them or is it a joke?

jd

Hi John

The green weed fly is no joke - Steve Starling made & used one some years ago - he actually gave me one, but I wasn't really into blackies then, so didn't take the best advantage of it - hopefully I will find it again one day & use it now that I am targetting them!

I have heard of someone growing it in a saltwater aquarium, but as the others said, it only gave up small quantities.

Cheers

Roberta

Weed grows in all types of places the best salt water stuff I have seen comes from areas of very little current with depth of no more than 2 feet.

Last week end I visited my inlaws. The house they live in backs onto Budgiewoy lake on the Gorikan side not far from the brige to Tokley.

There is bulk weed grow close to the bank there. There is three or four different types. Not all weed is the same. Some is course and hairy, some fine and soft.

This area has hardly any flow and tidal movement of lest than half a meter.

The swap in Homebush bay pack had some great weed but the rangers dont like people getting it.

Cheers

G`day Fellas ,

Personally , I can`t see blackies going for Immitation Weed , or weed grown in a tank.

My reason for this is , that most of the the Old timers , who fish all year round , have repeatedly said that ( Its the miniscule plankton , crustations , worms, etc, etc , that grows on the weed which they mostly feed on is a major factor ) , combined with the fact that They suck the bait in to taste it , nipping it off in pieces , like us chopping parsely on a chopping board , rather than gulp it down in one go .

But nothing would surprise me these days I have to admit.

Mick

does anyone know if there is any spots to get green weed around the georges river area. i did hear somewhere that there was a spot near east hills.

cheers

Fisho ,

There was a small bridge over a drain at the end of: PARK RD: I think it was at East Hills on the Henry Lawson drive.

There`s a nice little Beach there , and if the bridge is still there , then the weed should be too,

We used to fish the reef there for blackies and had a ton of fun doing so .

You can also use the weed from Liverpool Weir , a fact that is not well known ( If its still there ) .

A fella in My street used to harvest it , and sell it to bait shops by the sugar bag full , and it worked a treat.

Sometimes he had to walk well up along the bank when it was scarce , but he nearly always got drinking money from it.

I must also tell you that , there are some monster Bream lurking near that reef at night as well , but most times will only take live prawns when they are running.

Mick

hey OWZAT, cheers for your reply. i will go check out the bridge which you were talking about. and advice to others gathering green weed, ONLY TAKE WHAT YOU NEED!!!! i hate seeing people go fishing with loads of weed and wasting it :mad3:

OWZAT as for this reef your talking about... where is it?

cheers

I have that weed in our salt water tank at home but it must run over some sort of weir in the tank and have the correct amount of lighting to make it grow and you will never get enough to make it a viable bait supply

Cheers Stewy

Hi there

A local here who has experimented with 'introducing' weed to a new water source says it works well, so long as no-one else finds it before you return, and knocks it off! He said that in the right conditions, it will grow at up to one foot daily. He usually gathers it fresh on a stick & then positions the stick in the selected 'new' area, to anchor it. Might be worth giving it a go to a few areas at a time - more chance of finding some when you go back!

Roberta

Roberta

That would be a good idea for someone who lives in close proximity to water and worth a try I reckon.

Unfortunatley I do not.

:05:

Regards

Paul.

well i went to the bridge this afternoon and got myself a bit of green weed. i will be heading out fishing on the weekend and hopefully by sunday night i will be able to write a report on my catch.

cheers for all the help.

[/quote

Fisherman ,

Just walk south back towards The Railway bridge , along that beach where you got the weed , untill you come to the rocks and if still unchanged , the treeline , and the reef is directly opposite .

Gum Boots or waders will allow you to walk out to the very edge of the reef , and you will clearly see the channel in front of it , then you can plan your drift area.

Its only 7/8 feet maxim depth , so fish about 6 feet at most.

Porcupine quill float , weighted to just the extreme top of the quill , will produce best results .

In other words , you no more than say, the head of a match sticking out of the water .

Good luck , and if possible mate , can you post a pic of that spot , I can`t find any of mine , and would like to see if it`s changed any.

Mick

PS, if the Blackies are not biting , change Tack , and rig up for Bream , if you cant get fresh prawns , try the packet variety , they worked wonders for me , when I couldn`t get lives .

You could also throw a big bait , well out into the channel for Jew as well , I`ve been busted there many times on light gear ( 12 LB ) , and have no idea what they were , but 50-50 sharks or jews .