Berkley Fireline

gio

Hi guys

just noticed that apart from the 2 department stores the majority of tackle stores sell different colours of berkley firleline in the same LB rating at different prices. For example in several stores i have seen evertyhing from 4LB to 10LB in smoke and flame green for less than $20. However the pink in the same LB ratings sell for $30. Is there any reason for this? Is the strength of the pink stronger than the other 2 colours, because i thought the only difference was the dye? If not is there any other reason that would justify paying an extra $12 for the pink?

Cheers

Hi guys

just noticed that apart from the 2 department stores the majority of tackle stores sell different colours of berkley firleline in the same LB rating at different prices. For example in several stores i have seen evertyhing from 4LB to 10LB in smoke and flame green for less than $20. However the pink in the same LB ratings sell for $30. Is there any reason for this? Is the strength of the pink stronger than the other 2 colours, because i thought the only difference was the dye? If not is there any other reason that would justify paying an extra $12 for the pink?

Cheers

I haven't looked into it, but the first lesson in Economics is the demand/supply/price relationship. As demand increases and quantity stays the same, price increases. People like the pink stuff!

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

and besides... i hear kingies are very "metro" :1prop:

:Funny-Post: Oh yeeessssssss.... I'm going to go pick some of that pink stuff up. Do I have to buy a reel to match? - I just love accessorising! :074:

Flattieman.

Edited by Flattieman

Very simple reason why the pink Fireline costs more, it comes in 150 yard spools compared to the Flame and Smoke which only come in 125Yard spools.

really why is that? i didnt even notice

....so thats how they justify the extra $$ bit steep considering its only 25yards

i personally find that it ties a better knot and the strength just feels better compared to the smoke stuff in the same lb rating (havent used the green).

and they say shades of red become invisible to fish in just 1m of water as it is the first colour broken down (yellow and green being the last i think) and yet it has high visibility to us for tying knots and stuff... (GO THE PINK!), the pink stuff is all i buy now except when i am buying FINS and ive never had a freying problem or failed knots.

on a heavy overcast day i cant for the life of me see 4lb black smoke fireline 2m in front of me and it gives me the shits.

and besides... i hear kingies are very "metro" :1prop:

CFD

Fireline is pretty good stuff but at the end of the day, after a bit of use, the colour fades anyway, no matter which colour you choose it'll end up white in good time.

The last spool of pink that I bought hardly had any pink left on it after only a couple of months usage. Smoke fades the least in my opinion but as mentioned before you have to contend with its lower visibility when its new but it does get better as the smoke colour fades.

Actually I've yet to find a braid or gelspun line that doesn't suffer from colour fade, the best for me so far has been Spiderwire Stealth and the worst, blue Squidgy Braid, shocking stuff, no wonder its not sold anymore.

I must try the stuff Saqa had on his luderick reel, he reckoned it was pretty good stuff and not much colour fade on it for the time it had been on his reel. Cant remember but it may have been Bionic Braid?????

Saqa????????????

Guest Saqa

Fireline is pretty good stuff but at the end of the day, after a bit of use, the colour fades anyway, no matter which colour you choose it'll end up white in good time.

The last spool of pink that I bought hardly had any pink left on it after only a couple of months usage. Smoke fades the least in my opinion but as mentioned before you have to contend with its lower visibility when its new but it does get better as the smoke colour fades.

Actually I've yet to find a braid or gelspun line that doesn't suffer from colour fade, the best for me so far has been Spiderwire Stealth and the worst, blue Squidgy Braid, shocking stuff, no wonder its not sold anymore.

I must try the stuff Saqa had on his luderick reel, he reckoned it was pretty good stuff and not much colour fade on it for the time it had been on his reel. Cant remember but it may have been Bionic Braid?????

Saqa????????????

Yup, Bionic braid. Very intense pink in the begining and slighty fades to a lighter shade of pink. I have had this on my blackfish reel for a couple of years now and it has remained in this lighter shade all the time. I use this a lot through out the year. Still very visible.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the fireline really fading? I reckon the colour is getting rubbed off as it goes thru the guides when its wet.

Ive got a couple of rods with pink fireline on em that has not faded or colour lost at all, both rods have titanium guides and quality reels.

However on my other rods which are cheap sub $100 the fireline colour comes out no matter what colour it is to start with and after 5-6 uses the braid is completely white. If i keep using it then it starts to fray and looks like scratched up cotton.

I won't use the green anymore, I bought 3 rolls of the stuff and it had no strenghth at all, it would snap everytime I tried to tighten the knot, switched to pink and smoke thinking that at least I know a different colour would be from a different batch and no prob.

In saying that I used to use green and didn't have a problem so consistency of quality is obviously an issue.

The smoke is hard to see and I find frays more than the other colours but that maybe the rod I have it on as it's a cheapy.So the pink is my colour of choice and at my local ***** it costs the same as the other colours, I haven't noticed that there is more on a roll of pink I'll have to have a look at that

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

Is the fireline really fading? I reckon the colour is getting rubbed off as it goes thru the guides when its wet.

Ive got a couple of rods with pink fireline on em that has not faded or colour lost at all, both rods have titanium guides and quality reels.

ur a show off with ur TITANIUM GUIDES :1tongue::1tongue::1tongue:

:074::074:

Guest madsmc

I haven't used the pink fireline yet. The smoke fireline was just too hard to see.

The green has been good so far (touchwood). When it starts to get old and faded I reverse it onto another reel so I can get the full life out of it, and respool the first reel with new line.

Shane

:1fishing1:

Well i just bought my first ever spool of braid on the weekend (6LB green fireline), i have finally made the transition from mono, and can i just say it is probably the best investment for my tackle i have ever made, i cant beleive i didnt buy this earlier!!! i only use overhead baitcasters and this braid stuff it just beautiful for casting the lightest of lures....amazing stuff

However on my other rods which are cheap sub $100 the fireline colour comes out no matter what colour it is to start with and after 5-6 uses the braid is completely white. If i keep using it then it starts to fray and looks like scratched up cotton.

I really think that Berkley, being an American company, when they designed Fireline it was mainly intended for American lure fishos that fish the freshwater lakes for Bass. I dont fish freshwater personally but I'm pretty confident in saying that saltwater would play a big part in the Fireline's colour fade.

I also have Fireline on quality reels that runs through Titanium Sic guides on quality rods and it fades just as quick as it does on my cheaper combos. Maybe a combination of hot sun, and dried up salt particles caught up around the guides is the culprit, who knows?????

I really think that Berkley, being an American company, when they designed Fireline it was mainly intended for American lure fishos that fish the freshwater lakes for Bass. I dont fish freshwater personally but I'm pretty confident in saying that saltwater would play a big part in the Fireline's colour fade.

I also have Fireline on quality reels that runs through Titanium Sic guides on quality rods and it fades just as quick as it does on my cheaper combos. Maybe a combination of hot sun, and dried up salt particles caught up around the guides is the culprit, who knows?????

Wierd ay :wacko: