Who's Had A Speed Limit On Their Broadband?

cap3

Me, at the moment :thumbdown:

Never thought it would happen, but I've finally exceeded my monthly download limit (on an unlimited plan mind you) so Optus have put a cap on my connection speed that brings a new meaning to the word slow :05:

I cant believe how I managed all those years ago on dial up cause its just so much slower than broadband.

Anyway, good news is tomorrow is the start of the next billing cycle so back to full speed, I just have to keep an eye on my downloads from now on.

Guest Saqa

Me, at the moment :thumbdown:

Never thought it would happen, but I've finally exceeded my monthly download limit (on an unlimited plan mind you) so Optus have put a cap on my connection speed that brings a new meaning to the word slow :05:

I cant believe how I managed all those years ago on dial up cause its just so much slower than broadband.

Anyway, good news is tomorrow is the start of the next billing cycle so back to full speed, I just have to keep an eye on my downloads from now on.

I max out on my 37 gig monthly limit normaly by around 20 days. then have to wait till the new month. The limited speed I get in that waiting period is still way faster then dail up as my normal speed is 1500k. I think i get limited to 128k

I max out on my 37 gig monthly limit normaly by around 20 days. then have to wait till the new month. The limited speed I get in that waiting period is still way faster then dail up as my normal speed is 1500k. I think i get limited to 128k

Holy snappin' duck sh*t, you maxed out on a 37 gig limit :1yikes:

I thought I was doing well to max out on 12 gig

Guest Saqa

Holy snappin' duck sh*t, you maxed out on a 37 gig limit :1yikes:

I thought I was doing well to max out on 12 gig

Every month. I got 200mb to go for this month. Next period starts on the 5th. I download every episode of Lost, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Simpsons and WWE an Desperate houswives for :wife:

Edited by Saqa

Every month. I got 200mb to go for this month. Next period starts on the 5th. I download every episode of Lost, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Simpsons and WWE an Desperate houswives for :wife:

which company are you with that gives you 37gig a month?

im with optus cable and only get 12gig(24gig between 12am-9am)

Domza,

Thats the one I'm on, $64.95 p/mth and I get every 3rd month free.

Guest Saqa

With optus DSL. I have 12 gig peak and 25 gig offpeak between 12am-12pm @ $49 per month @ 1500k

Guest Saqa

Im with Optus Cable , I get 20 GB Peak and 40 GB Off Peak for $47.95 per month.

Ross

did you have to threaten to go to another isp to get a deal like that. I did :biggrin2:

Saqa,

The plan you are on sounds like its also the same as mine except I only get 24 gig off peak.

Anyway, taking into account that I get every 3rd month free, my monthly fee spread over the 12 months comes to $43.30 p/mth. Not a bad price I reckon and Optus are pretty good, I havn't had one issue with them.

Still, I'm not a big fan of this off peak business cause I'm not in a position to take advantage of it, I'd much rather for example have only 20 gig that can be used whenever rather than what I'm on now.

Guest Saqa

Saqa,

The plan you are on sounds like its also the same as mine except I only get 24 gig off peak.

Anyway, taking into account that I get every 3rd month free, my monthly fee spread over the 12 months comes to $43.30 p/mth. Not a bad price I reckon and Optus are pretty good, I havn't had one issue with them.

Still, I'm not a big fan of this off peak business cause I'm not in a position to take advantage of it, I'd much rather for example have only 20 gig that can be used whenever rather than what I'm on now.

Mate I am up all night working on the rods so I am able to make maximum use of my limit. Keep in mind that the plan is actually $39 per month and the $10 is for the 1500k speed. I have this in a package with line rental and 100 free calls plus $20 for an hour for Fiji. Normal per minute it is 87c I think. Mate I am downloading 700mb episodes in under 1/2hr

BTW, what speed did you get in your contract

Not really sure what speed I'm on, I'm off contract now and have been on this plan for a while.

I do remember when I first signed up with Optus I asked the customer service rep how fast the connection would be on my plan and they said that the speed is unlimited and varies depending on time of day, internet traffic etc.

Either way, 700mb in under 1/2hr is pretty good for P2P downloading.

Aradi Tracker is the only Bittorrent client where I can get download speeds like that.

On a side note, who do you use?

Guest Saqa

Not really sure what speed I'm on, I'm off contract now and have been on this plan for a while.

I do remember when I first signed up with Optus I asked the customer service rep how fast the connection would be on my plan and they said that the speed is unlimited and varies depending on time of day, internet traffic etc.

Either way, 700mb in under 1/2hr is pretty good for P2P downloading.

Aradi Tracker is the only Bittorrent client where I can get download speeds like that.

On a side note, who do you use?

utorrent is the bittorrent client I use and the trackers I have found good are torrent spy and minova (or something like it). Need cafefull tuning of the client to get max speed. I get http downloads at 1200k

Guest Saqa

Saqa ,

Not sure if you know about this program , SKYPE is a VOIP program that allows you to talk to anyone who has an internet connection for as long as you like FOR FREE !!! Sound quality is superior to telephone . All you require is a mic ( I use a $7 special from Big W ) , its great , you can even conference call with it !

Ross

We only call Fiji and at the moment they dont have broadband and a voip server there. I did look into this. I have a serious headset i used to use for gaming and cant wiat untill voip is possible for fiji.

Does any one wanna seed some Ifish and other fishy shows or now a site which hosts them

utorrent is the bittorrent client I use and the trackers I have found good are torrent spy and minova (or something like it). Need cafefull tuning of the client to get max speed. I get http downloads at 1200k

I use Utorrent as well as Bitcomet as the clients. I made a mistake before, Aradi Tracker is a site like Torrent Spy and not a Bittorrent client like I mentioned.

1200k speeds are incredible, you got any tuning tips for Utorrent so I can tweak up my speed a bit????

Guest Saqa

I use Utorrent as well as Bitcomet as the clients. I made a mistake before, Aradi Tracker is a site like Torrent Spy and not a Bittorrent client like I mentioned.

1200k speeds are incredible, you got any tuning tips for Utorrent so I can tweak up my speed a bit????

I find Aradi has a very limited choice when it comes to TV shows but excellent for movies(all sorts :1yikes: )

I hardly use it these days as a lot of movies shared these days are cam copies and I prefer the real DVD on my home cinema sys. Let me know if you know a good tracker which has rips from the original DVD with the ac3 track. will be very handy

Did you try using the built in tool in utorrent to find your real speed. Your max upload speed should be a under one third of you max download speed. I have set my number of connections to 400. Download the episode 24 of lost from torrent spy and as there are a few thousand seeders you can use this as a benchmark of you max speed. Set your download as 0 (max) and after about 5 min of downloading start adjusting your upload starting from 25k and goe down to about 5k untill you peak. This is the best speed you will get. set the client to upload at 0 (max) when not downloading to do share the file back, its only fair.

I find that the optus supplied modem does not like multiple downloads so I have set the next on to start when the first has finished. Optus doesnt charge for upload (at least not for my contract, you should check). Get the progie called auto exit and set it to switch your PC of when offpeak hours finish. (12 pm for me) once you have used up all your offpeak hours then you can start using the normal hours and get full use of your download limits

My max upload is set to 15k while downloading and 0 (max) when not

Thanks mate,

I'll have a play around with those settings but I wont be downloading anything until I get my broadband back to full speed.

Edited by cap3

Happened to me yesterday. n-o-w i-m r-u-n-n-i-n-g a-t d-i-a-l u-p s-p-e-e-d !

Bring on tommorrow, 1st of the month!

Mind you im only on 400MB plan. You blokes blowing several gigs are downloading too many dodgy movies !!! Shame on you - perverts ! :wank: :074::1prop:

Guest Saqa

I have now used our quota. Now our connection is badddddddddddddddd :1badmood::mad3::thumbdown:

I also download lost, desperate houseives, lost etc etc to watch on my psp in the train on my way to work.

Lost is finally getting somewhere. Which ep are you upto

I cant believe you guys can actually sit through an episode of Lost :1prop:

I stopped watching it out of sheer frustration last year, all this hype about what was going to happen on the next episode and nothing would happen.

After 2 seasons and countless episodes its about bloody time that something did start to happen :tease:

Mate i am a big SG1 and Atlantis fan, any idea on when the new seasons start

Guest Saqa

Mate i am a big SG1 and Atlantis fan, any idea on when the new seasons start

will check and let you know. Have you seen upto season 9 for SG1

will check and let you know. Have you seen upto season 9 for SG1

Have seen all of season 9 sg1 and all of season 2 atlantis, have been waiting for the new season to start.

Both season finales were left at a nail biting moment.....so am dying to se the seasons start

Back to full speed today, thank God!!!!!

Its really a test of ones patience waiting for web pages to load on slow connections.

Saqa, I did a speed test on my connection from one of the links on the Whirlpool forums website and cut and pasted the results below.

<tt>Test run on <b>1/6/2006</b> @ <b>5:55 P.M.</b>

Mirror: <b>Optus</b>

Test type: <b>Cable</b>

Your connection speed:

kbps: <b>12484.1</b>

KB/s: <b>1560.5125</b>

Mbps: <b>12.19150390625</b></tt>