Bream Softies

brett0

Whats your softie of choice for Bream.

Not haveing caught to many, my fave are a number 2 Sqigie curl tail in white and a white manns paddle tail. Seem that I have most of my luck on the white lures for bream.

I would like to create a top 5 if possible from this list to create a shopping list for me.

Cheers

Bretto :1beer:

Whatever works on the day really :biggrin2:

To be honest these days it seems whatever is the flavour of the month with the SP guys is the "only" thing that catches bream. There are few SP's that won't take bream. All the old unfashionable plastics like grass minnows, sliders, atomics all take fish as well as the bass minnows.

Thanks guys.

To be honest these days it seems whatever is the flavour of the month with the SP guys is the "only" thing that catches bream.

Thats what I thought and part of the reason I started this thread.

Keep em comin

Bretto

3" Hawgs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Jewel - interesting that you mention these things. I bought a pack of 2in Bulky hawgs and haven't had ANY success to date. I rig 'em with a worm hook, but they seem too light to chuck any distance, and have also dropped them off the side of a boat and nothing has touched 'em (when they have taken other SP's).

How do you rig them up? What colours too?

Cheers

HHH

Edited by hatheadheaven

I'm a fan of the 3" hawgs, don't like the 2" ones as much though. I rig them on anything from a 1/24 to 1/6 oz. jighead (TT or Nitro). I've found them particularly good on big trevally. I usually like to fish them around bridge pylons or breakwalls in deeper water. Fave colours are pearl watermelon and pearl blue. Occassionally I will cut off the two chunky "claws" for a slimmer profile on spooky fish, but most of the time I fish them as is.

As for the BrettOs original question, top five plastics for bream for me are:

Pearl Watermelon 3" bass minnow

Pumpkinseed 3" bass minnow

3" Gulp Fry

2" Gulp curl tail minnow

6" Gulp sandworm

In fact any of the Gulp range is very effective (I call them the "cheaters lure"!). Aside from the Berkley range which I use 90% of the time, I also like Ecogear Tank-S and Pad-Tue. But if I were to only have 5 plastics the above list would be it.

HTH,

Ben.

Guest fishrunner

Hi Brett0,

What can I say Jewel's pretty much summed it up for me :wacko:

top 5 would be

POWERHAWGS 3inch (not 2 inch)watermelon

pearl blue 3inch minnows

did I say 3 INCH POWERHAWGS, pearl blue

gulp 6inch worms are starting to come in as well!

oh yeh 1 inch power nymphs

standard rig is a 1/16th gama on the hawgs (nice sink rate) and seem to get the bigger bream, if the flatties don't get em 1st :biggrin2:

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

1 gulp sandworms in natural or camo depending on where Im fishing

2 2in berkely walleye grubs pumpkinseed or bloodworm depending on water clarity

3 1in hawgs in smoke glitter for spooky bream or up against reeds{very good in chippo}

4 3in bass minnows watermelon pearl for aggresive bream

5 80mm squidgy wrigglers bloodworm cut back by a third for rocky shorelines

6 squidgy bugs for surface presentations

Bream SP's

My favourite rated

#1: atomic grubs with rubber fly legs added

#2 2" pwr hawg in watermelon

#3 2" pwr hawg in pumpkinseed

#4 2" pwr hawg in cinnamin

#5 3" bass minow in pearl watermelon

#6 Whatever is the cheapest at the time.

I use nitro heads bullets in varying weights and I also make my own using black magic fly hooks and brass beads some times add propellers and small blades. I sometimes scent my lures as well using a secret garlic scent recipe that my local green grocer sells goes good on fish and chicken as a BBQ marinade as well.

Cheers

Trev

There is a consistant theme here...

My lures of choice are;

1) 3" Berkley Power Minnow in pumkinseed

2) Atomic fat grub 2" in green gord

3) Squidgy wriggler No.3 in bloodworm

4) Storm 2" rattle grub in white pearl

5) 2" Berkley Power Minnow in Watermelon

Not that much different to most of u guys. If the list was longer i would have added gulps, nymphs and eyeballs to the list but u cant choose em all i guess.

OK guy excellent stuff so far. I have been keeping some records as this

goes along and the results so far are.

THE TOP LURES ARE

This is a total of votes for each lure.

. Bass Minnow in Wtaermelon = 5 Votes

. Bass Minnow in Pumkinseed = 5 Votes

. 2" Hawgs = 5 Votes

. 3" Hawgs = 4 Votes

. 6"Gulp sandworms = 4 Votes

. Atomic Grubs = 4 Votes

The next best were the Squidgie Wriglers with 3 Votes, Sandworms in camo 2 Votes,Berkley Gulps 2 Votes

Nymphs 2 votes and 1" Hawgs 2 Votes as well. All the other lure mentioned in this post only got 1 vote.

So there we have it. For any new soft plastic fisho's out there here is a pretty decent list to get us started. I now have my shoping list set. I already use some of these lure but the others are coming to my tackle box soon :thumbup:

Thanks guys hope this hekps some other fish raiders as well.

Bretto :1beer:

well done brett.... good stats for the budding enthusiast sp fisho. No room in my box for the ones i dont have.... the :wife: is all over me like white on rice for spending tooo tooo much on soft plastic things. Ba Humbug i reckon

• 4 months later...

sorry to dig this thread out and hijack, but bought 3 inch fry berkley gulp and owner 1/32oz size 1 hook weedless jigheads, these hooks seem a bit too big...are they?

also whats the proper way to rid these babies?

thanks