Bugger It I'm Buying A Boat

robthefisherman

I had made a decission that I was going to finish rebuilding the val before I got a boat but stuff it.

I missed a ride at the Botany social and almost again for the hairtail night so I'm going to bite the bullet and go get me one. I've got about 6k coming back fron the tax man so that should see me get myself into a little runabout or open tinnie.

Iknow for that money I won't be out on the high seas catching marlin but it'll get me out amongst them and more importantly guaranteed a ride at the socials.

So come late july early august I'll be lurking around in swap and sell so if your looking to sell be sure to put it up.

Looking at the classifieds the older glass boats seem to be going pretty cheap but I'm a bit wary of buying on old glass boat as I've heard a few stories of transom rot.

As this will be my first boat any advice you guys can pass on would be much appreciated, I'd really like a nice little boat set up for breaming with a leccy, am I wishing a bit too high for my budget

Cheers

Rob

G'day Rob ,

The only advice I can give to you is look everywhere. On the net , in the papers , on the streets around sea and riverside suburbs. My mate and I both put in the hard yards , and we both got absolute bargains , and got change from $4500. He got a 4.3M tinny with a 6 month old 9.9 HP Johnson , I got a 4.3M glass runabout with a 55 HP Evinrude , sounder , marine radio etc. Sometimes these great boats just " appear " , all you need do is find them !! Best of luck !!

Ross

Rob,

The one you are borrowing for the hairtail trip is for sale. See what you think and make an offer, you never know you might be taking home a boat on Sunday. That would please my :wife: she wont have to park accross the road anymore.

mate the first boat i bought was a fibreglass 84 model 3 years ago....after 6 months realise that it had been patched up before and start to stress crack everywhere...thank god the motor blew and the insurance payed me out, then i sold the hull for $2500.

Now i have a Alum and would never go back to fibre....Stronger hulls, light to tow/drive...cheaper on fuel cause you don't need a big motor...

My mate just bought a 2002 bermuda 4.3 metre runabout with a 40 mercury 2002 for $7,000....mate they are plenty of good buys out there...

My best mate bought a even bigger bargain saving around $10,000, He got a Stacer easyrider 575 2001 bowrider, yamaha saltwater series 2001-115hp, color gps, color sounder, live bait etc...all the extras....all the rest are advertising at 30k...he paid 18k

the main thing is to watch the trading post on the net daily....unlike the paper the ads on the net are released daily. you can grab a bargain

Hey Rob,

I bought my first boat (and still got it :biggrin2: ) out of the trading post and saw the ad online. As Netic says watch the online ads, they come out every day.

Not knowing much about glass boats I stayed away from them because of the problems you have suggested.

Aluminium is a much safer option for a first boat for reasons already mentioned.

I'm sooooooo glad I bought my tinnie, it's certainly nothing flash but I'm out there fish'n!!! :thumbup:

It was able to take a few knocks when I was learning the "ropes" of launching and retrieving by myself and I've added all sorts of goodies to keep me happy (I'm putting in flouro lights and a spotlight at present for those verrrrrrry early morning sessions ! :biggrin2: ).

I guess one thing to realise about buying a boat is that there's always another gizmo, eletronic/electric device, rod holder, live tank etc etc that YOU NEED.

Remember, they all add value to the boat as well... which is how I justify the expense to the :wife: . :074:

Hope it all goes well and you find one soon. Look forward to seeing the pics mate and hopefully seeing you on the Parra sometime into the bream! :thumbup:

Cheers,

David.

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

hey rob

check ebay and the trading post!

there are some bargins that might tickle ur fancy

good luck!!!

The fishing and outdoors expo is on this weekend and there will be a few boat displays on so you might wanna head up there and see if you can grab a bargain,also the sydney international boat show '06 will be held august 3-8 so theres something else to look at. My friends dad is looking for a boat also and he's keeping an eye out for a good deal at these 2 shows,and once he gets the boat, no more land based :1fishing1: for me and my friends :yahoo: .

You can check out these website for more info

www.sydneyboatshow.com.au

www.fishingshow.com.au

Guest Dont Shoot Da Chinamen

ahhhhh yeah!!!

almost forgot

water sport marines are having their own boat show

on the weekend 2 weeks after this weekend!!

ph for enquires is...

ph: Sales: 76 Sunnyholt Rd BLACKTOWN 2148

Phone 02 9676 1400 Fax 02 9676 7588 Mob 0410 634 754

i was talking to the owner about it 2 weeks ago and there is some very nice deals

Not all old fibreglass hulls are duds. my current boat is a 5metre mustang halfcabin, ive had it for 5years without a problem..ofcourse the motor is old, but it was recently rebuilt and its still going fine. although personaly i would never get a fibreglass boat again( too heavy) they are far more stable.

i agree with checking the trading post daily for bargains. Also keep an eye on ebay, the cheapest boats are sold in winter(off season)

Edited by domza

Guest wayneo

hey mate

i just checked out ebay for you and there is a few good cheap alliminium boats inthere that i think you would like and are cheaper then what your prepared to pay

check out page 6 half way down there is pic of blue boat on a guys front lawn for $6000 ono

check it out

cheers wayneo

hey mate

i just checked out ebay for you and there is a few good cheap alliminium boats inthere that i think you would like and are cheaper then what your prepared to pay

check out page 6 half way down there is pic of blue boat on a guys front lawn for $6000 ono

check it out

cheers wayneo

Any excuse to look at the boat section, hey wayneo :074:

Guest wayneo

Any excuse to look at the boat section, hey wayneo :074:

hey crow

yeah for sure but dont tell my mrs i bought a few small items aswell

cheers wayneo

hey crow

yeah for sure but dont tell my mrs i bought a few small items aswell

cheers wayneo

Ok, but it will cost you....

Where shall we meet - The Penrith Golf Club or the Pioneer???? :074::1prop::tease:

Hi Rob,

Here's something else to think about.

If you buy a second-hand aluminium hull and trailer, they are are usually cheap to repair, even if there've been knocked around a bit. This is particularly so if you have a mate who can do MIG welding and repair trailers, as I have.

But if you buy a second-hand motor and it turns out to be almost clapped out, then it can be very expensive to repair, particularly if you can't fix it yourself.

Therefore, if you've limited funds, it's probably safer to look for a bargain second-hand boat on a trailer (without motor), and then buy a new motor to suit. A new motor would obviously come with warranty.

Regards,

Bob

It may be worth while waiting till the Sydney Boat Show in August to look at new boats and get a feel of what you want in your second hand boat as well as what to look for in make/construction and most important all the goodies you can add.

Cheers